XVI

Jace is really used to have meals with everyone silently, but there is something in this silence that made him feel uneasy and awkward.

The only persons that seem normal today are Alec and Jem. Jace is used to Alec's shyness but there is something weird on the way Jem acts, as if the really loud noise that woke the Institute household last night were a lullaby for him. This noise consists of moans, of whimpers, obscenities and of namecallings dedicated to passion that came from grandpa's room. And Jace is certain grandpa moaned grandma's name with all wanton and passion.

Jace could see Isabelle and Clary's eyebags. He wondered, how did the two girls reacted last night? Jace suddenly had a dirty image flashed on his mind, so he shifted his gaze to grandma, who is really interested on her plate, but barely touches her food. He then shifted his gaze at grandpa, who is playing with his pancakes by slicing it to bits.

Will did his best to distract himself from the heavy gazes of everyone else. He never felt this awkward before. Will is certain that the awkward tension in this room is because of him, but he really had no idea why. He woke up naked and shivering, his blanket was gone, and there were a storm of his and some woman's clothes scattered around the room. Will flushed a faint red when he suddenly recalled what happened in Cadair Idris between him and Tessa.

And speaking of Tessa...

It was Jem who picked up the girl clothes this morning. How Jem knew there were scattered girl clothes in his room, Will doesn't want to know.  Will then recalled asking Jem awhile ago why he is taking the clothes.

"I don't want Tessa to find some of her clothes actually missing." Jem said kindly.

Wait... What?

Will remembered the faint scent of hair tonic on his sleep. The scent comes from someone with a brown hair. He then stared at Tessa. She looked painfully pale. She then focused more on her plate when she felt Will's gaze on her.

Realization then hit him very hard.

He slept with Tessa - slept after a session of passion exchange between them in his room last night. He slept with a woman married to his parabatai, his brother in everything but blood. Guilt washed over him as he began staring at his plate the same way Tessa does.

But no - something's not right. Will is certain that he slept alone and clothed, with all the lights out. He's also certain that Jem slept with Tessa. Will then remembered the old hag's words back. Tessa is an entertainment for his father. A boiling pot of anger on his chest start to overflow, spilling the contents on his veins. Whoever Greater Demon fathered Tessa? It should set a good father figure, no matter how cruel demons are. Tessa doesn't deserve any of this. She doesn't deserve him in this time.

Everyone starts standing up, leaving Jace and Alec stacking the dishes into a pile, and bringing them into the sink. As much as Will wants to talk to either Jem or Tessa right now, to explain himself, he knew this isn't the right time. Will stiffly stood up and headed for the staircase. He'll be needing the comforting smell of paper to ease himself.

As he's walking to the corridor leading to the library, he suddenly realized that he's not feeling like going to the library. He glanced at the doors on the corridor. He reached the right door -or so, he feels it is- in long strides and opened it.

Will's mouth almost dropped seeing Tessa in Jem's room. She's half awake. Tessa snuggled to Jem's chest harder when she saw him.

Will blanched. He opened his mouth in an attempt to say something, but all he did is to form an 'o'.

"Is anything wrong?" Jem asked out of pure innocence.

Will spoke stiffly, trying his best to prevent his eyes from staring at Tessa. "Jem." he breathed. "May i talk to you in private?"

Jem blinked. He looked at Tessa. Will could sense a very silent conversation is going on between them. After a few moments, Tessa reluctantly nodded. Jem let go of her as she laid her self on the bed sideviews. Jem stood out of the bed, tugged the blankets, and draped them over Tessa's body. Once he is done, he turned to Will and nodded. Will opened the door and motioned for Jem to go out first.

Will took Jem to the barely-used drawing room. Dust coats all of the furnitures but the heavy wood desk and the dark wood chairs. The room smelled of dust and faded carpet. They propped themselves on the two seats opposite beside the desk.

"So, what bothers you, Will?" Jem began. Will sighed. He took his time picking the right words. But he only ended up with two, "I'm sorry." he breathed.

"For what?"

"You know what." Will snapped. He realized he just raised his voice, but Jem is not bothered. "Look, I'm sorry. For..." he grunted.

"Is this about you and Tessa?" Jem asked.

Will reluctantly nodded.

"About what happened last night?"

Blood rushed on Will's face. He can't even remember kissing Tessa last night, but everything felt real and right. The thought made Will feel guiltier. It was never right.

Jem took Will's blushing as an answer. "It's not your fault." he said.

Will is surprised not only by Jem's words, but also by the tone he used. Will could sense cold and anger on it, but he also felt that the tone is not directed on him.

"You're not mad at me?" Will incredolously asked.

Jem laughed nervously. "No." he said. "Not at you."

Will made a face at him.

Jem sighed. "Mundane women had this tradition of introducing their fiancees to their parents. If Tessa were to introduce me to her father, I just might kill him."

Something triggers inside Will. He finds himself agreeing on Jem. In fact, he'd love to do the honors of beheading Tessa's father by his own hands. Demons are heartless, but Will could not believe such cruelty would expand to their offspring. He's gone too far messing with his daughter's emotions. Such cruelty has limits, haven't they? Now, all Will wants is to see Tessa smile again - this time, it was him who is not a part of the equation. He deserves Tessa. But Jem also deserves Tessa. And Will's turn is over.

"You know, if I got the chance, I'd behead him myself. Saves you the trouble." Will growled. He grinned at the last part. Jem returned his smile painfully. "Thank you, William." he said. "But sometimes, one must get their hands dirty for the best."

"I'll chop from the front, you'll chop from behind?"

Jem nodded enthuiastically, grinning.

"It's settled then." Will's grin went wider. After a few moments he suddenly realized he's grinning, when he feels really guilty inside.

"Tell Tessa I'm really, really sorry." he sighed. Jem considered his statement for precious few seconds. When he's done, he grinned at Will and opened the door, revealing a sleeping beauty slumbering peacefully on her pillows.

"I don't think she's asleep." Jem said. "I'll have a few good times with Church." he threw a quick wink at Will. Before he could protest, Jem ran to another corridor, radiating pure happiness everywhere.

Will took another glance at the bed. He then wanted to run back to his room and bury himself on the thick blankets. But Will caught Jem's silent message; he wants him to tell Tessa himself. Will smiled at the thought.

Oh, Jem. You're always the kind, responsible, and the understanding one, huh?