Chapter 20

I couldn’t believe Liam just did that. He had given in to everything that Nathaniel had fed him and we didn’t even know if the other groups had arrived yet. I looked around and noticed movement coming from the right side of clearing. We were all fighting in front of what seemed to be an old barn, yet on the inside you could see more people gathered, like it was the backup crew. They came out of the red building at a great speed, their bodies deforming until they were running on four paws. Along the group that was shifting I found myself following two in particular, Mr. Graham and the nurse at our school. I kind of hoped that they would be the first to go… Mr. Graham mostly because he had used me.

Just about the same time they ran out, our back up arrived, already shifted and ready for attack. They looked surprised at the fighting that was already going on, the plan was for us to stall until they gave the signal but with the explosion that Liam had we had to start early. They snarled like the others and quickly dove in. They did not hesitate and it sort of made me feel better about the whole situation at hand with Liam.

I had to focus!

I ran back out into the mix of human and wolves, staring at each of them. I saw the wolves eyes blazing in blackness and knew that they were born werewolves. Priscilla had different color eyes because she was a turned wolf and so I focused my attention on those, finding one to my right immediately.

The wolf had one of ours pinned down - his mouth growing close to his neck, ready to tear it out. He was going to make the death slow just to torture the poor guy and that is what made me practically see red. Innocent people are going to die fighting for what is right and it was my duty in this war to fight for them, to protect them.

I launched myself onto his back and drove my knife. “Rule number one,” I snapped as I pulled out my weapon. “Don’t waste time with your prey, something like this could happen.”  I toppled to the floor on top of the dead wolf and made sure the other one was ok before taking off to find someone else in need.

There was a nudge on my back and I spun around - swing my knife at whoever it was. Lucky Liam ducked under my arm and I sighed in relief when I didn’t hit him. His wolf was watching around us as I flipped my blade in my hand, the wolves moving too fast for me to see who was who. I watched them all with calculating eyes, when they turned their heads in my direction I would watch closely to see if their eyes were different. I found it very hard to keep up with them as they tumbled along with others, the risk of me attacking one on our side was two great.

“I can’t figure out which is which,” I yelled over the snarling.

He looked around and motioned with his big head to follow him. He took off and knocked a wolf to the ground and I took that as my cue - racing forward. I rammed my knife down into his chest like I had done the other, his body slowly stopped struggling. “Thanks.” I took in his features and then looked back up at Liam, their body shapes were different. While Liam had the muscle he was still bigger than the one laying on the ground. The dead wolf was more on the slim side only a tad bigger than a shewolf, the difference was enough to help me narrow out ones similar to him.

He took off once more and started fighting someone not far away. He dodged hits and bites easily as though he was just playing around with the guy before using his front paws to slam him to the ground. Most of the wolves feared him, the mere sight of his wolf had them running in the other direction. He was vicious and getting into a fight with him would surely be the end of their lives, just like one he took out seconds ago.