31. The Possession

Start from the beginning

Bonnie raised an eyebrow. "Tell him she has a boyfriend," she frowned.

"There's a hot guy looking for a date to the dance tonight?" Riley cut in with a smirk. "Who is he?"

"He'll be at the dance," Dana said, mainly focusing on Elena. "Look for him. His name is Klaus."

The girls glanced at each other, trying not to show their true reaction to the name.

"Where is he?" Bonnie asked, looking around nonchalantly. "Is he here?"

Dana looked confused. "I don't know."

"She's been compelled," Riley said, immediately recognizing the signs.

"But he wants to know if you'll save him the last dance. How cute it that?" Dana said excitedly.

"Oh, she'll definitely save him a dance," Riley said angrily. "In fact, if he bothers to show his face tonight, let's throw him a damn parade."

***

Riley walked onto the school grounds later that day for the dance. She was wearing a black and white checked mini dress with thigh-high boots – one white, one black. With her hair straightened and tied into a high ponytail, she was the epitome of a 60s chick and was feeling amazing. That is, until she overheard a conversation between Bonnie and Jeremy.

"Just because a bunch of dead witches gave me a warning doesn't mean I'm going to die," Bonnie said.

"So you're saying there's a 50-50 shot you won't?" Jeremy responded, his eyes boring into those of his relatively-new girlfriend. "Look, I'm sorry but, you know I don't have the best luck in the girlfriend department."

"What's going on?" Riley asked, walking over to them.
Bonnie gave Jeremy a 'shut up' look. "Nothing," she said quickly.

"She's not strong enough," Jeremy jumped in. Bonnie shot him an angry look, her face growing hot. "If she tries to take out Klaus... it'll kill her."

Riley looked at Bonnie, grabbing her arm. "Are you insane?!"

"It's fine."

"You dying is not an option Bonnie, I don't care how much we want to take Klaus out."

"I can do it," Bonnie insisted. "Just... please don't tell Elena."

Against her better judgement, Riley nodded. Elena knowing this right now wouldn't be good for anyone. "If you die, she's not gonna want to live. Klaus may as well just take her."

"I can kill him," she insisted once again.

"And what if you don't?" Riley raged. "What if you wear yourself out and die, and Klaus is still walking free because we underestimated him by putting all of our hopes into Sabrina the Teenage Witch?!"

"Now you sound like Damon," Bonnie said, hurt by her words. She could do this, she knew she could.

"Should my ears be burning?" a smug voice asked. They both ignored him.

"Hey," Elena said, walking up behind him with Stefan. "You guys look nice."

"Thanks," Riley said. "I'm gonna... go inside."

Giving Bonnie one last look, she walked into the dance. Like all of the other dances, it was full of couples dancing and others standing on the sidelines, talking over the music. She made a beeline for Ric.

"Hey, has Klaus shown his face yet?"

"Nope," Ric said, looking down at her in confusion. Then, in an instant, his face cleared. "Riley."