Chapter 10

Dean Winchester POV

"Come on, Dean." Castiel said softly, as if Dean was a glass figurine that was cracked and only needed a breath of air to shatter it. Dean hated him for it at the moment, but he knew that wasn't fair. This wasn't Castiel's fault. It was his, well, at least, it felt like it was his. Dean didn't know what to do. He was supposed to be the strong, confident older brother who could get through anything. But now, all Dean could feel was numb shock.

"Let's go." Castiel said again, still speaking to Dean like he was a spooked wild animal. Dean took his and Sam's boxes and placed them in the trunk of the Impala. He opened his car door and slid in, starting the engine and leaving Sam and Castiel to scramble in the car before he pulled away. Dean drive to the Novak house and parked out front. He glanced into the backseat to look at Castiel. Sam had gotten to the front seat first, or maybe Castiel had let the younger boy have it, and Castiel was stuck in the back seat, staring at Dean with sad eyes.

Castiel opened his car door and got out, walking to Sam's door and opening it for him too. Dean got out on his own and went to the trunk, taking out the boxes and carrying them to the door. Sam stopped his and took his stuff from Dean. Dean gave his a little smile of encouragement.

Castiel ushered Dean and Sam from the Impala to the house. He pulled open the front door and let the brothers wander inside, shutting the door behind them.

"Dean," Sam whispered. "Where is Dad? Will he be back soon to fix this?" he fixed his large, confused eyes on Dean's face and stared into the dull green orbs that were Dean's eyes. "He's coming back, right?"

"Right, Sammy." Dean said monotonously. He looked at his brother and tried to bring the life back into his eyes for Sam's sake. "He'll be back really soon."

"Sam," Castiel turned to the younger Winchester. Sam turned away from Dean to look at him. "You don't mind sleeping in Gabe's room right? you could stay with Dean and I can move in with Gabriel for now if you want."

"You can go with Gabriel." Dean told Sam with no emotion in his voice. Sam looked over at him and nodded.

"Sure that's fine." Sam replied to Castiel, turning away from him and Dean to walk down the hallway to Gabriel's room.

"Dean, you can bunk with me, okay?" Castiel turned his worried gaze to the eldest Winchester. "Dean? Are you even listening to me?"

"Yeah, I'm listening." Dean said distractedly, tearing his eyes off Sam's retreating back to focus on Castiel. "Your room, right?"

Castiel nodded and Dean grabbed his stuff off the floor where he had set it down and set off down the hall. He ignored the opening door and the confused "Dean?" that came from it. It was Ana.

"Ana," Castiel called softly from the end of the hall. She turned and headed towards him, casting glances back at Dean the whole way.

"What-"

Castiel cut her off and mumbled something to her, she replied equally as quiet and Castiel disappeared further into the house, Ana trailing behind him.

Dean kept walking and reached Castiel's door. Balancing the boxes on his knee, he fumbled for the door handle. The door swung open and Dean lost his balance as his source of support vanished. He stumbled and the boxes toppled off his knee, landing on the floor with a muffled thump, followed seconds later by the much lounder bang of Dean falling next to them with an grunt of pain.

Rolling to the side, Dean kicked the boxes out of the way and slammed the door shut with his heel. He lay on the ground, staring up at the ceiling and not moving, too tired to bother with getting up.