I go straight to May's room to wake up Sammy with both of our bags on my back. That little boy always forgets it somewhere.

I delicately open the door to find my brother's sleeping form next to May in a pile of pillows, which looks like a fort.

Gosh, they are so cute.

My feet move silently on the floor as I enter the room. When I reach my brother, I kneel next to him and murmur his nickname while I caress his chestnut brown curls.

"Morning, Sammy." He smiles at me while placing both of his arms around my neck so I can pick him up. My brother knows by heart what he needs to do when I say something in his ear. I wish I could leave him here to sleep until late and spend more time with May.

Especially because his nightmares are getting more and more frequent so I always need to carry him to my room where he ends up sleeping with me. He hasn't had a sufficient amount of sleep for a little kid and it does worry me that he won't be able to have a happy childhood.

"Bye May," Samuel whispers while I head to the door, looking over my shoulder at the little girl he adores.

I quickly exchange a goodbye with Bella's dads that are already up having breakfast in their kitchen, my heart beating a little faster every time I think about what is going to happen next.

My dad's anger. His hand on my arm. His touch burning my cheek.

Tears threaten to leave my eyes as I put Sammy in the backseat, buckling him up in the booster seat. I fight the urge to let the tears out because I know it's not the time nor the place.

It will get better. One day, I will fight my father. Damien will make sure of that.

It's my last chance.

Looking at the clock makes my anxiousness much higher. It's twenty past nine. I was supposed to be home for breakfast, to pretend that I have a happy family.

Despite the fact I'm a pile of anxiousness inside, I succeed in driving to my house in a matter of minutes. Every time I stopped at a red traffic light, my mind made me think about what will happen when I open the door. A few new bruises and my left cheek bright red.

Stupid, stupid. I should have put on an alarm to wake up.

As I enter my house, I pray that Tom isn't awake yet, that he might have a hangover from a night of drinking and doesn't want to be disturbed.

But obviously, it's not the case. It's never the case.

"Took you long enough." He's seated in one of the high stools that are next to the marble countertop. There is a cynical smile on his face that makes the bile in the back of my throat rise. Sammy doesn't notice or hear anything since he's sleeping, his head pressed against my collarbone.

"I know, I'm so sorry. The alarm didn't go off and-"

"I don't fucking care. You were supposed to be here so we could have breakfast, eight o'clock or even earlier." His voice is aggressive, leaving me with no air to breathe. My mouth is trembling from my fear because I know that if he hits me, I can't fight back.

I'm powerless.

"You will face consequences, Lina." Tom stands up as I walk fast to the staircase, protecting my brother's head with my hand all the way.

He gets to the beginning of the stairs before me, standing in front of it and blocking my passage.

"Let me just put Sammy in his bedroom, Tom." There is fear in my voice, but I try to hide it so hard. I couldn't give him the pleasure of seeing me scared.