5

"I am not a thief and I am nothing like my father. Don’t you dare utter such words again” Tamuno replied with tears pricking the side of his eyes.
“hee, hee, see this one o. with all this accusation you still they warn pesin. You wey be say e don finish for you today. Abi shee na lie him talk? Like father like son. Shameless people. After all the wahala wey your papa don cause for this our town you don start your own abi. But I go tell you something that wings wey you wan take fly we go cut am.” A very bitter old woman said as she kept on clapping and standing akimbo.
Tamuno was about to defend himself when he heard his mother’s cry of sorrow. She ran out still adjusting her wrapper.
“Please my person, my son is not a thief. He has done nothing wrong. All he wants to do is provide for his family. My people please believe me.” Mama said as she went on her knees and started to plead and cry.
“Hannah this no be matter of beg beg. Ha han your son has committed a taboo in this town and he has to pay for it. Chinedu go and check their kitchen and surroundings.” The old man said not heeding to Mama’s pleas.
Chinedu charged towards the house and tried entering the house. Tamuno saw this and quickly made an effort to stop him. But he didn’t see it coming as Chinedu punched him squarely on his nose twice. Blood gush out of Tamuno’s nose and his mother started to scream in agony. Chinedu came out of the house with the pot of chicken in his right hand and a few feathers of the chicken in the left. As soon as the people saw this they confirmed that indeed Tamuno stole the chicken. Immediately they started to lament and rain insults on him. Some people started to suggest ways of punishing him in order to make him learn a lesson. The old man that spoke earlier ordered three huge men to carry Tamuno. Immediately this happened Rita and John ran out crying loudly and pleading alongside their mother that their brother be released.  Their pleas and cries went to deaf ears as the huge men tied up his hands. They pushed him forward and trailed behind him as they all made their way to the palace.