2

Tamuno used to be a conservative boy but then the drive to feed his family overshadowed it. He has vowed that he would never be like his father in any way. He managed to take a look at the floor to make sure that there was no trace of his trip to the poultry farm.  Longing for a nice bath was an understatement when it comes to how bad he needed to have his bath. He dashed to the bathroom which was located at the back of the house. This was because his mother had insisted during the building of the house that the bathroom and toilet be located at the back yard so as to avoid a smelling atmosphere in the house.
       A few minutes later he was done having his bath. With a relaxed mind he walked into the kitchen and saw his little brother John squatting and poking the chicken while he smiled sheepishly. As soon as John saw his elder brother he smiled widely and lunged into his arms.
“Good afternoon brother Tamo.” John said still in the arms of his brother.
Tamuno cringed and forced a smile at the mention of the ridiculous nick name that was given to him by his father.
“We are going to eat garri and vegetable soup tonight.” Tamuno announced to his brother proudly.
“Really Tamo. With the chicken abi.” John said his eyes dancing with delight.
Tamuno nodded in reply and gestured for john to get down. He picked up the bucket and began to whistle as he made his way to his room. He was about to enter the room when he suddenly hit his left foot on the ground forcefully. This made him skeptical because he has heard of times when people hit their left foot and then something negative follows. He brushed off the thought and reckoned that the people of Ukama are illiterates. He got dressed swiftly and dashed out of the room to inform his mother about the chicken. But then he met his mother already instructing Rita his twelve year sister to go and buy ingredients for ogbono soup. For some reason. He smiled to himself because he is not bothered about what soup they eat as long as they get to eat.