Chapter Twenty-Two

The sight of her village, nestled among the green hills, made the last shred of tension leave her body. It had taken another three days to get back here, days she'd spent trudging through the forest and ignoring her thread. Even now, with her village less than a mile away, she knew where it would point.

The sun cast a warm glow over the cluster of houses, and she braced herself for William's enthusiastic greeting. Then remembered: William was gone. There was no one to welcome her home. She readjusted her sword belt and descended into the valley.

A farmer walked past her on their way down from the fields. The woman gave her a look, and then a second one, her jaw dropping open. Alannah ignored her. But then the young blacksmith's apprentice did the same, stopping in his tracks to stare as she strode past. And then the old cobbler did it, too. She altered her trajectory and headed to the tavern.

Eamon stood behind the counter, as he always did, and seated in front of him was the mayor. Just like the night they drugged her, tied her to a pole and served her up as lunch. She clasped the hilt of her sword and marched up to them. "Nice to see such a warm welcome."

They started like she'd shouted Fire. "What - what are you doing here?" the mayor asked, dragging his tankard closer.

"This is my home." She leaned against the bar, levelled a stare at them. "Isn't it?"

Eamon straightened. "Where's the dragon?"

"Gods," the mayor muttered, "what if it comes back? If all we did was for nothing - oh gods, Clara-" He jumped to his feet and Alannah yanked him back down.

"He's not going after Clara." Anger still bubbled in her stomach, but she took her hand off her sword. The man might be a nasty little worm, but he loved his daughter. She could understand that, even if she couldn't forgive it. "I took care of the dragon. And I wanted you to know that, Mayor," she told him, baring her teeth a little too much, "because I am going to send you the bill - which you will be paying for the next ten years." The man went white and almost swallowed his tongue with his protests. Alannah ignored them all and turned away.

Her anger fuelled the first few steps back to her shop, but it didn't last long. She thought she'd come back to her village and string the mayor up by his standard of office. But instead, she only felt tired. The idea of revenge had gotten lost along her journey, somewhere between the Fae and Fellmere.

But at least now she was home. She could get back to her normal life.

The bell of her shop tinkled as she went in and three dozen pixies took to the air, chattering loudly. Swathes of golden dust coated the floor, the walls, the counters. There wasn't an inch of shop visible. She'd forgotten about the damn infestation.

Realising she wasn't about to start skewering them, the pixies scattered into small groups and danced another cloud of dust into her shop. She slumped against the back of her door. She'd have to clear out the place and exterminate the pixies before she could even think about setting up shop again. Then she'd be back to selling run of the mill protection charms and three day love potions. And without William, she could count on being left alone.

Dameon's words flowed through her mind. This was supposed to be what she wanted.

So why did she feel so empty?

Alannah thudded her head against the wood behind her, ignoring the soft rain of dust over her face. She knew why. There was a stupid, dragon-shaped hole in her chest that hadn't gone away when it should have done.

And she didn't want it to go away.

Goddess, she was such an idiot. Alannah pushed herself away from the door and took one last look at her shop. Her Grandmother's shop. Dameon was right. It was time she faced up to her own dreams.