Chapter Thirty Six

Word Count: 1619

~Jada

It wasn't as if I had much of a choice.

It wasn't as if I was going to tell Kael no. Not when he has been so kind to me, and not when I know he is my mate. Maybe on this trip I can find out how to tell him. First, I need to know how I'm going to deal with it, since being the Luna of the Discipline Pack doesn't appeal to me so much.

I'm not going to lie about being nervous about how Kael will react, either. He doesn't seem like he wants a companion, despite how nice as he's been to me. Maybe he will cast me out, or send me back to the prisons to hide me and my secret from the public.

The thought makes me shiver. EIther way, I have to face this problem one way or another. There is no escaping a mate bond.

It's my fate, after all.

Kael crosses the room in front of me after I agreed. I'm hoping to prove to him he can trust me. That I'm not going to go out and tell anyone about his mother, and the fact that she is still alive. That means as curious as I am about why she went missing, I don't question him. I don't want him to think I'm trying to get information out of him.

"I don't know how long we will be out there, but I trust you," Kael tells me firmly, the glow of the lights casting a buttery glow across the top of his head. Perfect, he trusts me. "If we go out, we go out in a few days. I have a friend who can help us track."

Nodding slowly, I try not to think about what is to come. My thoughts will be clouded with the secret I'm keeping from him the entire time.

I could just tell him, maybe...

Watching him pace across the room, stress etched into his features. Even through his panic and stress, he is still undeniably handsome. At first he intimidated me, and in a way he still does, but now I can see past the cold sternness to a hard exterior of handsomeness that has been revealed with his kindness and understanding.

I'll him soon. Very soon. And when I do, I'll do it calmly, approaching the subject to see how he feels about having a mate before I even open my mouth.

"We will need some help while we are out there, and since some of the Silent's are yet to warm up to you, I'll let you pick two others to come with us," Kael offers kindly. It's a relief, since almost all the Silent's hate me.

I know without thinking who to first choose.

"Ace. For sure," I tell him confidently. "Ace tolerates me, which is the best I can ask for. I'm sure he would be happy to prove himself to you."

Kael nods, satisfied with my choice. For my second choice, I know who I want to pick, I just don't know if he will be so happy about it. Axel. He made is clear he doesn't like me, and punished me because I rejected him, however, I want to know more about why he feels this way. And if we are stick together in a forest, maybe I can get something out of him.

"And Axel can come too," I comment. Kael's head whips around just as I realise what I said. "Oh, I meant Blue."

"You know Blue's true name," Kael says slowly, taking a few steps toward me. My throat goes dry. I can see the suspicion on Kael's face. "He never tells anybody anything. He's ashamed of his past, yet he told you."

I can't tell him I know him out of this.

"Him and I have a special friendship," I tell him anxiously, getting to my feet in hopes it will make me appear more legitimate. However, saying that didn't seem to make any difference in his skeptical expression. In fact, it almost seemed to make it worse, a cool darkness shrouding his irises.