Chapter Twenty Seven

Word Count: 1567

~Jada

I took me a moment to process that.

Here for me? That doesn't make any sense. I mean, Blue looks familiar, but I know for a fact I don't have any surviving family. No one has reached out to me since, and no one has expressed any care for my position. So staring at Blue, hearing him say that to me fills me with a strange sense of anger.

He seems to notice my expression morphing to personify my emotions, jumping to explain himself further. "It might not make sense now, but there's little I can say. If anyone hears, we might both get in trouble."

"Look, no one is going to hear," I tell him, shaking my head at him, motioning across the abandoned field. I'm not even sure if anyone is here anymore.

Blue looks skeptical. "Kael is busy with someone else."

Swallowing uncomfortably, my insistent words don't seem to get through to him. He looks over his shoulder, and when he looks back at me, I can tell he is acknowledging how there is no way I'm letting him leave here without being honest with me. I knew I was right, and I want to hear from him why. Why he's here for me.

"You have to be quiet, okay?" Blue insists, still looking anywhere but me trying to ensure no one could be listening in. "You have to understand how bad it is if someone hears and tells Kael. Maybe he would pity you, but there is no way he would pity me."

I click my finger impatiently. "Okay, get to the point."

"I know your family. Well I know you. Or knew you, at least. From our childhood," Blue explains to me. I blink a few times, unsure whether that makes much sense to me. There's little I can remember from childhood considering the trauma of having my family taken from me.

"I still can't remember you," I say, seeking more information. It feels as though it's at the tip of my tongue, however, it hasn't come to me yet. The more he looks at me with those eyes, though, I can feel it getting closer.

"Our families were close before everything went down. I'm older so I went away two years before you were taken. When I learnt of what had happened to our close family friends I knew I had to do something," Blue explains.

I loosen a short breath, a vision of a boy in my young life suddenly appearing, although I can put my finger on it.

"You have to remember," Blue says suddenly, grabbing my shoulder tightly. "It's me. Axel."

Oh.

It was as if the utter of his name suddenly brought back memories that were once concealed within the depths of my mind, hidden to handle the trauma and pain I've been through in my early life. Axel, my blue eyed friend who left me so young for school. For the law. Mourning him leaving, his mother convinced my own to hide me. To keep me from the inevitable nature of Kael''s boarding school.

Now that I look at him, I feel almost foolish for not knowing it was him sooner. Of course he's changed drastically, but he still has those brilliant blue eyes. The same as Axel, the boy I once knew so well before he was ripped from us all. I remember being sad that day, but I can't remember anything past that.

"What are you doing here then?" I question, my voice becoming hushed now that I know the weight behind his admission.

"It's a long story that's dangerous to talk about here. But I came for you. To protect you. I never knew you'd be apart of the competition, but I wanted to use my position to help you. I thought you were in prison," Blue tells me.

I shake my head, confused. "No. I was put into boarding school."

I'm assuming he's confused since if I were taken in to be punished for defying the law, I would be put in jail rather than facing the death penalty because of my age. Maybe if I were a few years older I would have suffered the fate of rotting under the depths of the city, knowing no other life.