23

(One Month Later)

Vin was enjoying Callum's newfound confidence at home; the boy had a great sense of humour, and enjoyed most of the things Vin did, so they spent a lot of time happily in each other’s company.

At school, however, Callum was the same as the first morning Vin had met him; he only spoke when he had to, and preferred to skulk in the library with a book or homework at lunch and break times, rather than spending time with Vin.

Vin divided his time as best he could between Callum and Robert. Try as he might, he couldn't convince Callum to sit with their group of friends at lunchtime, or play tennis with them after school, although Callum did say he enjoyed watching tennis.

The only thing putting a strain on their otherwise happy relationship was Vin's growing feelings for Callum.

Since their trip to Blackwater, Vin had continued to have the occasional flash of feelings for Callum. These were growing more and more frequent, to the point where they were almost constantly inside Vin's head.

Callum was oblivious to his feelings and, Vin hoped, would remain that way until Vin had managed to shake them.

*

"Wake up!"

Vin was awoken early one morning in late October by a happy Callum bouncing on his bed.

"Come on. Get up Vin."

"Why?" Vin groaned, rolling over and burying his head in his pillow. "It's too early."

"It's your birthday, silly." Said Callum. "Come on. Leda has to go to work soon, and she wants to see you before we go to school."

Vin levered himself into a crumpled sitting position with a moan, rubbing sleep from his eyes. "Is it my birthday?" He asked. "I thought it was the 24th today."

"Nope the 26th. Come on, get up. Breakfast's almost ready."

"Alright, alright." Vin yawned and hauled himself out of bed. "Shove off."

Callum disappeared downstairs while Vin dressed quickly, packed his school bag, and went to join them in the kitchen.

"Happy birthday!" Leda hugged Vin tightly when he came in.

"You're both too happy!" Vin groaned. "It's too early to be this happy."

Leda and Callum shared an exasperated look, before they shoved presents towards him.

Vin and Callum sat down at the table while Leda fetched bacon, eggs, sausages and bread and joined them at the table.

Vin ate his breakfast quickly, before he pulled the first present over. "Who's this from?"

"Me." Said Callum shyly.

Vin unwrapped the paper, and took out a photo frame. There was a photo of Leda and Callum slid behind the glass. The wooden frame was made from ten or more pieces, neatly cut and sanded to fit perfectly together like a jigsaw puzzle.

Vin's name was carved into one of the pieces. "Did you make this?" He asked Callum.

The boy nodded. "You can take it apart, if you ever want to change the photo."

"What?"

"Here." Callum took the frame from him and quickly pulled their pieces out. He rearranged them to fit a portrait photo, rather than a landscape one. "The back still fits, so you can have it either way. It moves the stand at the back, see, so that the frame stands up properly both ways. If you find a portrait photo you prefer, see."

"That's really clever." Vin looked up at Callum. "Is this what you were doing all last week? Your 'technology project'?"

Callum grinned.

"And your 'food technology project' is... a cake, I presume?"

Callum nodded.

"Thanks Callum." Said Vin quietly, feeling his heart swell happily at the thought of how much time Callum had put into his present.

Perhaps he likes you too, Vin mused for a moment, before he mentally shook himself, hard. He quickly pulled his aunt's present over, and unwrapped it. It was a tiny box, with a key inside.

Frowning slightly, Vin took the key out and looked at it.

"Come outside." Said Leda excitedly.

Vin looked at Callum, who shrugged innocently, before he followed his aunt outside.

A shining silver Mini was stood on the drive, beside his battered old ford.

"You got me a new car?" Vin asked uncertainly. "A Mini?"

Leda nodded. She glanced around to make sure Callum was still inside the house and leant over to whisper to Vin.

"I'm getting Callum some driving lessons for his birthday. I've looked into insurance, and we can afford to insure him on your Ford easily. So I thought he could have that, and you'd get a new one."

Vin hugged his aunt until she squealed.

"Don't tell Callum about the car, alright. We'll just say we're keeping it, in case you crash or something."

Vin nodded happily. He went back inside and found Callum washing up, and went to help, grinning broadly.