22

Vin popped open the boot and quickly put his bag in, making sure Callum couldn't see what was inside. There was the stereo, for his aunt, and Callum's birthday present.

Vin slid into the drivers' seat and took his milkshake from Callum gratefully. He sipped it for a moment, before he handed it back to Callum, fastened his seatbelt and eased them out of the bay.

Callum was rather quiet on the drive home.

Vin kept his silence for a while. He watched the other boy from the corner of his eye, wondering what had happened. Perhaps he was just tired, Vin mused. Finally, he could hold the silence no longer. "Are you alright?" He asked Callum.

Callum shrugged.

"That's not an answer."

"Did you have a good time today?"

"Yes. Why? Didn't you?"

"No, I did. But... I'm just wondering why you ditched me at the end."

"I didn't ditch you. I just... wanted to buy something."

"Why couldn't I come to buy your aunt's Christmas present with you? It's not like I'll tell her what you got her."

"I know. But I bought something else too. Something I don't want you to see yet."

"Why not?"

"Because it's your birthday present, idiot." Said Vin tiredly. "Generally, you shouldn't know what you've got for your birthday, until it's your birthday."

"Oh... You don't have to get me a birthday present." Said Callum awkwardly.

"Yes, I do. You're my... well, you're my friend, and kind of my adopted brother, I guess, and I got you a present. So don't complain."

"Alright," said Callum amiably. "What did you get me?"

"I'm not telling."

"Don't tell me then. Just let me peek. Go on." Callum urged.

"No." said Vin firmly. "You'll have to wait."

Callum pouted, and Vin was suddenly struck by how adorable he was.

Vin cleared his throat and looked away quickly, confused. That was the second time that day he'd had a rush of feelings about Callum. He frowned to himself, wondering what had brought the feelings on.

It was growing dark as they pulled into the driveway.

Vin switched the engine off and got to the boot before Callum could peek in the bags. He immediately went to hide Callum's present, in case the other boy when looking for it, and went to help Callum unpack the rest of the bags.

"My wardrobe looks quite full now," said Callum cheerfully when he came back downstairs.

Vin smiled at him.

"So, what did you get me for my birthday?"

"I got- Hey!" Vin growled. "Stop asking or I'll take it back to the shop."

Callum laughed.