4.0 SAVE ME

"NANA!" I yelled pulling back her covers to feel her chest. Nothing. I fell to the floor and cupped my head in my hands.

"Sam?" Roni said sitting next to me. I looked at him.

"What's wrong?" He said wiping my tears.

"Nana.... she isn't breathing." I then glanced over at her cords. One was pulled out of the wall. I went to my room and put on my black vans. I left my room and went to the living room.

"Put some shoes on I'm taking y'all to Maya house." I said trying not to lash out and punch a hole in the wall.

"Wait wh-" Jojo began to say.

"NOW!" I interrupted him. They both quickly got up and put shoes on. We left the house and went across the street.

"Hey um I gotta go visit my mom." I said. Maya nodded and let Jojo And Roni in.

"Stay safe" She said closing the door.

Since the prison was so far away I took my phone out and called an Uber. I sat down on the curb and waited.

"Yo!" A familiar voice yelled from across the street. I looked up to see X.

"Hey." I said lowly. He looked at me for a second. He sat next to me.

"What's wrong." He asked. I looked up at him for a second. The worry in his face looked so genuine.

"Somebody pulled the cord." I said quickly. He stared at me with a look of confusion.

"My grandmas cord. Now she's dead. So I'm going to see my mom.... in prison." I said lowly.

"Oh. Want me to go with?" He asked. I paused.

"Really?" I said. He nodded. I hugged him. A car pulled up. X balled up his fists.

"Don't worry. It's my Uber. The prison is like an hour away." I said.

"Uber for Samira?" I said in the window. He nodded. X and I hopped in the back.

"Where are you guys headed?" He asked.

"Florida state prison." I said taking my phone out. The driver made a confused face.

"What for?" He said. I looked at him in the mirror.

"I'm visiting my mom." I said awkwardly. He nodded and started driving.

•••

We got out and he drove off. The guard at the gate opened his window thing.

"Visitation?" He asked. We nodded.

"Visitation hours start in 15 minutes wait in the front." He said sternly. He handed us a slip of paper and opened the gate. We began to walk up to the building. We entered. As soon as we entered a woman walked up to us.

"Hi are you here for Visitation?" She asked. I nodded.

"Who are you visiting?"

"My mo- Lida White." I said. A tear began to rim my eye and I don't know why. Her name doesn't usually make me cry. She handed me a slip that she just printed.

A police officer took Jahseh and I by the arm and took us into a cafeteria looking room and sat us down at a table.

After a couple of minute a guard brought my mom out in handcuffs. She took a single look at me and began to cry. She got to the table and sat down.

"Hey baby... who's this?" She asked. Jahseh has a awkward look on his face like he didn't know what to do.

"This is Jahseh. My friend."

•••