Chapter Four

I heard the alarm at eight am. I went out of bed and walked to the kitchen. I was not the type of girl that ate breakfast. I usually drink something or eat cereals. That's the type of girl I am. Mom was in front of me at the table, looking confused.

- What's going on? You seem really happy lately.

- Me and Calum made new friends. It's not a big deal.

- I want to meet them.

- You might see them this friday. We are all going camping for the weekend - she looked at me disapproving - Calum included - I said and she looked relieved.

Once I ate the cereal I ran upstairs. I took a shower and brushed my teeth. My hair was up in a bun and I decided to not wear makeup that day. All natural. I put on black skinny jeans and a white t-shirt.

My mom said there was a boy sitting next to the door. I took a look at my phone and there it was: "I'm already here - Ashton".

- Is he one of your friends?

- Yes, mom.

- He has tattoos and piercings...

- Oh, I didn't notice - sarcasm sign - please, don't look at us from the window.

- I would never do that, honey.

I waved at her and then went to where he was. Ashton was playing with his curly hair.

- You came early - I said and he turned aroud.

- Hey - he hugged me and I just stood there, awkwardly.

- We should get going... - I said lookig at the window. I knew that my mom would be there looking at us. Ashton turned around and waved at her - Oh, lord. Let's go - I shook his arm and he giggled.

- Where are we going?

- Well, I'm a volunteer. I help kids to study, go to geriatrics, donate and all that stuff. I am on vacation also but I just wanted to visit them. I know most of them feel down at these time of the year. The grandparents mostly. All they do is remember teenage memories and it is killing them slowly. I hope I can at least make them smile today.

- Wow. This is new.

- How?

- I've never done this before.

- You can leave if you want to...

- No, I want to do this.

We were finally at "sunshine, NGOs". Ashley was waiting at the door, just like always.

- Hey - I said.

- Ella? Is that you? - she asked.

- Yes, it's me - I hugged her.

Ashley was recently blind. A year ago she had a car accident and lost sight. She was really frustrated at first but then she realized that things always happen for a reason. And she felt blessed because all of the other senses were much stronger than before.

- I am really happy you are here but you should be at home having fun.

- I wanted to be here, you know that. Oh, I am here with a friend.

- Calum? - she asked.

- Um, no. I think Cal will join us after vacation anyway... My friend is Ashton.

- It's really nice to meet you - Ashton said.

- It's nice to meet you too - she smiled - Are you guys dating?

- Oh, god - I said.

- Well, I wish we were... - Ashton giggled.

- Hang in there - Ashley said - eventually she'll fall for you.

- We should go inside - I said and took her by the arm.

We got inside and I saw the grandparents. Some of them were at their house with their families but - sadly - most of them were stuck in here feeling miserable. I said hello to all of them and introduced them to Ashton. Some of the grannies said that me and Ashton made a nice couple. Thank god he was talking to the grandpas and he didn't hear a thing.

- Lola, Nothing is going on - Lola was Ashley's granny and she was 74 years old.

- Darling, If I was younger and pretty as you, I would be with him. Have you seen his tattoos, eyes, dimples...? He screams "danger" and "danger" is fun at your age.

- You can keep him - I laughed.

- Oh, I will... - she laughed back.

We played bingo. It was fun and relaxing. Then it was time to have lunch. They didn't like it because it wasn't like before. They had to be healthy and they were not supposed to eat sugar, salt or anything delicious at that age.

- Ella, Could you please perform for us? - Mr. Jones asked.

- Of course! - I said and took the guitar. It was always there waiting to be played. Most of us volunteers were very talented and played guitar also.

I sat on a chair and tuned the guitar. I knew they liked old music but lately they asked me to play new music to talk about it with their grandchildren. Of course I would only sing decent songs.

- Could you please sing the song we love?

- Okay, I will.

"And you can tell everybody this is your song,

It may be quite simple but now that it's done,

I hope you don't mind,

I hope you don't mind that I put down in words,

How wonderful life is now you're in the world"

Lola winked at me and I understood why she wanted me to play this song. I'm gonna kill her. Ashley laughed because she knew it all the time. They are both so much alike and they want me to be in love. Nope. Not gonna happen. Then I sang a song I learned at my Spanish class. I really liked the song. It was beautiful.

"Me callo porque es más cómodo engañarse,

Me callo porque ha ganado la razón al corazón,

Pero pase lo que pase,

Aunque otro me acompañe,

En silencio te querré tan solo a ti"

They didn't know the meaning but it was such a relaxing song that they didn't even care. They enjoyed it.

We stood there talking to them till 2 pm and then we left to Ashton's house.

We ordered pizza and meanwhile we watched tv.

- I didn't know you talked Spanish - he said.

- I took classes when I was younger. My dad had this obsession for languages and It was a thing we studied together.

- And you have a beautiful voice too - he said and my cheeks started going red - I had a really nice time with you today.

- Someone is knocking the door - I said happy to avoid the topic.

We ate pizza and thank god he didn't bring the topic back. Michael and Luke wanted a slice also, so they ate too. They said it was Troian's birthday at night and they invited me and Calum. They gave me her address and I said that I would think about it. I left his house at 4 pm and went to Calum's. He said he wanted to go to the party. I mean, why would he say no to a party? He said he would pick me up at eleven. I just hope this party is worth it.