XI. Chef's Daily Recipes

How to make Kedgeree

You will need:

- 6 ounces cooked rice

- 6 ounces cooked codfish broken into large flakes

- 1 tsp cayenne pepper

- 1-2 tbsp butter

- ½ tsp salt

- 2 eggs whisked

- 1 gill of cream

- Parsley, quail's eggs and prawns for garnishing

Steps:

1. Melt butter in the pan. Add rice. Gradually stir until soaked in the butter

2. Lower heat and add fish. Fold fish in the rice until everything is nice and brown

3. Add a pinch of salt, cayenne pepper

4.) Add eggs and cream. Fold in. Do not overcook.

5.) Garnish with parsley, quail eggs and prawns.

... ... ...

Chef Joseph Joe Servan closed his two hundred-page, hand-written cookbook with a satisfied hum. Yesterday's events had been stressful enough that he could not find it in himself to sleep. Try as he might, he was too rattled to even find the strength to lay on his back. Ironic, in the sense that he'd become so tired preparing various puddings and casseroles for what supposedly was going to be Lady Madeline Godwin's visit—only for it all to be wasted at the wake of a demon invasion.

But really, Joe should have known better. He was working under the most troublesome nobleman in all of England after all.

Joe stood from his stool and walked across the kitchen countertop, letting a large, calloused hand slide across the surface, wiping remnants of cake flour and starch off of it and letting them fall over the edge. He wiped his hands with a dishcloth and proceeded to carry the dirty pots, pans, trays, and various other cookware over to the sink for cleaning. Michelle has already retired to her quarters and Joe figured it would be a waste of energy to have Mrs. Ashfield summon the scullery maid such a menial task. Besides, at that hour, everyone in the house was already fast asleep, perhaps save Rodrick and Raymond the gamekeeper. At this hour, the three usually gathered at the servants' lobby for a smoke, but the day's events had put off much of their routine. There was much work to be done in the day that hadn't been finished because of all the repairs on the manor.

He rolled up his sleeves, turned on the faucet and got to work. He grabbed scrubs, brushes, and sponges, and poured over white, soapy powder of Katherine's making (honestly, that girl was a godsend to this house). When he began working up the soapsuds, Joe started mumbling recipes for the day.

"Perhaps the lord would like kedgeree for breakfast," he said to himself.

Before he took a dish for rinsing, he sensed a presence by the door. He eyed the carving knife precariously placed on the sink and contemplated taking it to throw at the intruder. Joe did not like it when someone came to his kitchen unannounced.

"Excuse me."

Joe flinched, accidentally knocking off the knife from the sink. Before he could bend to pick it up, he already found the doll Lord Mircea bought earlier that day picking up the blade for him.

"You dropped this, sir," the doll said.

"What are you doing here, petite poupée?" he asked warily. Joe was aware of what he did earlier, undressing the automaton, trying to unmake her. He stared cautiously at the blade in the girl's hand, expecting retaliation.