A Few Years Ago....

Two little boys were outside playing around, already prepared for their big performance that they were going to do with their parents. From the tent, they could hear their mother yell at them to come inside.

"Race you there!" Said the slightly-taller boy as he sprinted off towards the tent.

"No fair!" Yelled the shorter one as he too sprinted to catch up to his brother.

Before they could enter the tent, though, they saw a strange man exit the tent. Daniel Grayson stopped in front of his twin brother, Richard 'Dick' Grayson, and was about to say something about the strange man when Haly said:

"Come in boys, you're up in a few minutes!" He said as he grabbed their shoulders and led them inside the tent, to where their family was.

"Hey, boys! Excited for this performance, I assume?" Said their father, John Grayson.

Both boys nodded. They have been practicing for this for weeks. It was the first time they were both going to perform. Before they couldn't perform because they were too young, but now that they have both turned eight, they were finally allowed to join their family in their act.

"Well then, let's go!" Said Mary Grayson, as she pulled her husband towards the trapeze set. Their aunt, uncle, and cousin soon followed.

When everyone was ready, Haly went towards the center ring, a beam of light illuminating his stout figure. "Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Haly's Circus! And taking center stage today is, the people you have all been waiting for, as usual without the safety of the net: The Flying Graysons!" He announced. The spotlight illuminated where the 5 older family members were on the platforms, about to do their routine.

"And joining them today are John and Mary Grayson's TWO sons, Daniel and Richard Grayson!" Haly said, as said boys climbed up to the platform to start their performance. As soon as Haly finished his announcement, the adults launched into their routine, doing elegant flips and going from bar to bar.

Danny took a deep breath and launched himself into the air, doing a triple flip. He seemed like he was flying until gravity started pulling him down, his mother caught him by the legs before he could fall, and they started swinging.

Dick was about to jump when he heard a noise from up above, he looked up and saw the ropes were about to snap. The rest of the family followed Dick's gaze and saw what he was looking at. Their faces turned into horrified looks as the ropes snapped, sending the 6 Graysons downward. Danny couldn't scream, it was as if it was all happening in slow motion, his mind still reeling from the sudden turn of events. He could hear the screams of the audience as they all fell down.

This is the end, Danny thought mournfully.

But before Mary could reach the ground, with her remaining strength, she launched Danny upwards so that he could grab on to the platform, and Danny was sent upward. But she was too late, Danny's hand barely brushed the platform when he started falling again.

CRACK!

The sound of their family's bodies hitting the ground, resounded across the tent. Tears started streaming down his face at the thought of seeing his family's mangled bodies on the floor, thinking he will meet the same fate. But before any of that could happen, a hand caught his wrist. Dick was grunting at his brother's weight, trying to pull him to safety. Danny snapped out of his trance and tried to pull himself up, only to make it worse.

"Dick! I'm slipping!" He yelled, tears still streaming down from his eyes.

Dick shook his head. "I'm not letting you go." He gritted out.

Danny nodded and grabbed on to the platform and tried to push himself up, Dick helped him as much as he could. It took the boys a few minutes but they managed to finally be able to get Danny onto the platform.

Dick wrapped his arms around his little brother, both panting heavily and tears streaming down their faces and sweating profusely. Danny was sobbing and mumbling in Romani, asking Dick to never let him go.

"Don't worry Danny," Dick said as he calmed down. "I will never let you fall, I will always be there to catch you no matter what. I promise."

When they finally were calm enough, they went down; with a few difficulties, since Danny still felt insecure about going down. The police were already at the scene, asking questions to the circus performers. When they saw the two boys they immediately turned their attention to them, overwhelming them with questions about the accident. Danny squirmed behind Dick and squeezed his hand. Dick took the hint and excused themselves from the sudden attention. The police understood and sent a medic to check on Danny for any injuries.

As they passed by the crime scene, they saw their family's bodies lying on the ground, their body parts were bent at weird angles and a pool of blood was rapidly accumulating on the ground. The boys tried to stifle a sob. Dick, imaging Danny like that if he had met the same. This made him hug Danny tighter.

Finally, when the medic finished checking over him, Danny and Dick were left alone. Danny's eyes started drooping, exhausted from the day's events, and his near-death situation, then Danny fell asleep on the cot the medics had set up for them. As Dick was watching over Danny in his sleep, one of the officers approached them.

The officer, who seemed to be in charge, cleared his throat and said. "Richard Grayson, you and your brother are to stay in the orphanage in the meantime, while we clear this up. Unfortunately, you cannot stay here in the circus, nobody here will be able to take care of you."

The 9-year-old nodded silently nodded, too numb with this day's events to even process the idea that he is being taken away from the place he grew up in. The man then left without another word. A few minutes later Danny woke up, Dick told him of what was to happen and what they should do, and left with his brother to pack up. When they were done, it was time to say their goodbyes to their circus family.

"You will always have a home here with us boys." Said Haly, wiping tears from his eyes. The boys nodded and hugged the man, tears streaming down their faces for the third time that day.

When they were done, the policeman grabbed their shoulders and hauled them towards a black car, where they will be taken to the orphanage. When they got on, he started the car and they drove away, the circus tent becoming smaller and smaller the farther they went.

Until it was nothing but a speck in the distance...

So, I noticed some things in my story, so I modified it a little bit. I will be doing this to the rest of my chapters, so enjoy!