What's Right?

Jackson chooses to stay with Connor but I head back to the control room to help Mitch and the others. When I walk in I look upon the large screen at the front and see that many countries are celebrating. It isn't long after I walk over to Mitch that Garrison walks over to us. "Are the beacons still down?"

Dariela is the first to turn and answer, "Whatever Mitch did, it's still working."

"Status report," Garrison walks past Dariela and shouts to the group.

"Coalition forces have secured population centers in Istanbul and Hong Kong. Civilian casualties declining." One of the soldiers calls out. "The German Air Force is exterminating the hybrids outside Berlin."

A tech turns as Garrison walks through the crowd, "Mr. Morgan and Mrs. Oz are still working on a solution for the St. Louis Beacon."

Garrison walks over to Mitch and I work are working with Jamie over our shoulders, "Tell me you have good news."

"Nope." Mitch comments.

"What?"

I turn to him, "Nothing yet."

Jamie turns to Garrison, "Any new beacon activity?"

"No." Garrison shakes his head as I turn back around.

I nod, "So we're winning."

Mitch nods, "Sounds like it."

Garrison signs, "Not we, you two. We are still under siege and outnumbered a thousand to one."

As I turn back to Garrison, about to give him some sassy comment, a group of men in combat gear come up, "Sir? The monitoring station's been compromised. It was overrun by Razorbacks. We were barely able to reposition the antenna array and secure the signal data from the St. Louis Beacon."

"Get yourself to the infirmary." Garrison orders.

"I'd be headed to the morgue if it wasn't for Wilson here." the man leans down and pets his dog. "Come on, let's get you patched up. Come on, Wilson, let's go."

As the group and the dog walk off Garrison turns back to us, "This better be worth it."

Garrison hands a disk to Mitch, "How long do you think your men can hold the barrier?"

"Are you having doubts about your fix? Because..."

"How long do you think they can hold it? Do you even know?" Mitch takes a deep breath and looks over to me.

I nod, "I'll go check on Clem."

As I walk through the center I hear the soldiers talking, "Sector H has been compromised. Hybrids threatening to breach near the generators. Sustaining heavy losses in Sectors E, F, and N."

As I get outside of the doors the building starts to shake. "Shit!" I take off toward the infirmary to Clem and Jackson.

As I turn down the hall, basically shoving people out of my way I hear a woman overhead, "All infirmary personnel, please relocate patients to the southwest corridor. All infirmary personnel, please relocate patients to the southwest corridor."

When I get to where Clem was I run past Abe, "Clem, we need to..." When the people move so I can see Clem's bed, she is gone and so is the baby. I look back to Abe.

"What going on?"

"I was checking on Clem, but I can't find her." I look around.

Abe nods, "You go back to Mitch and Jamie, I'll look for Clem."

I nod and run back to the control room. When I get there I see Jackson is with Jamie and Mitch. "Jackson."

Jackson turns, "Kat. Look at this." Jackson points to the screen, "That's the frequency that Abigail recorded off me. She said that that's how I control the animals. Beacons are designed to draw hybrids."

I look over to Jackson, "Why would she include your frequency?"

"No idea. I mean, it's not attracting any animals. If that's mine, I bet you that this one came from Abigail. It's how she commands the hybrids. My guess is, with those two frequencies amplified by the beacon, it creates a sonic barrier."

I nod, "Like the one in Tokyo?"

"Yeah."

"And if that really is your frequency, you might be the only one who's able to get past the beacon's defenses."

"How's that?" Jackson looks over to me.

Mitch nods and turns to Jackson, "Because, I... or Ducan, designed the beacon. And I found a flaw. It's all set up to keep people away. Think of it like two identical tuning forks resonating at the same frequency. You and the beacon are in sync, but everyone else on the planet is dissonant."

"So you're saying that I won't be affected by the signal."

"It's a guess. But seeing what happened to those soldiers in Toyko, I think getting close to it is still gonna hurt like hell."

I shake my head, "and seeing what happened to those soldiers in Tokyo, we are not sending him in there on a guess."

Jamie shakes her head, "Wait, but even if he's right, how does getting close to the beacon help us?"

"Well, I can make a device that we can attach directly to the beacons, it'll give us remote access." Mitch turns to Jackson, "And if you can do that, maybe we can turn it off for good."

Jackson nods, "You make the package, I'll make sure it gets delivered."

"Jackson..." I turn to him and shake my head, "are you sure you want to do this?"

Jackson nods, "Absolutely."

"Cause if it doesn't work..."

"One problem at a time."

Abe rushes across the room to us, "Mitch, how dare you. Clem's baby is critical for the sterilization cure, and you sent him away without consulting us."

I shake my head and look at him, "You did what?!"

Jamie puts her hand up, "Okay, slow down. Clem and the baby needed to be someplace safe."

"What?" Jackson steps up next to me, "You knew about this?!"

Mitch shakes his head, "I did us all a favor."

"If you were so sure you were doing what was right, why did you hide it from us?!" Abe questions. "I should have been there to administer the serum. If he misses his next dose, the cure is lost."

"My family. My call."

Jackson steps forward, "No, Mitch, that's not how this team works."

"Well, that's how I work, Jackson."

"You're not the only one that has a personal stake in this! Alright?!" Jackson shouts as he does I place a hand on his arm and he looks over to me then back to Mitch, "make the device! You better hope that Clem and her baby are fine." Jackson storms off.

"What was that about?" Jamie shakes her head and looks around to us.

I sigh and look up to Abe, then over to Mitch, "Sam's real name is Connor Oz. He's Jackson's son."