Tough Decisions

Hikari sat in front of the campfire they had made. Iroh had managed to get some bandages and salve to use on Zuko's wounds from the explosion.

     Everything felt like it was happening so fast. It was too fast for the brunette. She had been thinking about something important. From the things Iroh had told her, she looked like a girl of the Earth Kingdom. She had been wearing their colors too. With nothing else to deduct from, she was likely a native of the Earth Kingdom.

     Many of her memories were still gone. But what drove her on was the memory of her parents. She remembered exactly what they looked like, just not their names. If anyone could help her get her memory back, it would be them. The question was how to find them and where? Because it was such a ginormous plain to search, she decided it would be best to travel the road on her own.

     Now that the crew was gone, the ship was out of commission and Zuko was going into hiding, she thought maybe now would be the best time to part ways. Zhao had most likely thought that with the prince being dead, she would get out of the way of his plans. He would have been wrong, but with her leaving, it would be playing right into his hands.

     Hazel eyes stared into the fire. She wanted to do it, but she still was not sure. The tug of travel pulled at her gut, but her heart wanted to see her friend through this dilemma. If anything, the thought of seeing the admiral put a rock into her stomach. This decision was touch on her. It would be a great impact on her either way.

     Hikari ran a hand through her hair, "What am I going to do?"

     "Just play along and take uncle's lead," Zuko stated. "Don't let Zhao know anything about my survival. I won't get caught."

     "I... It's not that."

     Iroh seemed to understand, "You wish to leave us?"

     When the girl did not answer, the prince's anger seemed to burn, "Why?! Why do you want to leave?!"

     "I want to find who I am. I want to find my parents, rekindle my memories. All I have to go by is what Uncle Iroh said. I look like I'm from the Earth Kingdom and I was wearing their colors. Hopefully, that means I can find them there. June offered me assistance if I ever needed anything... This is my chance.

     "I get the feeling Zhao wanted your death to be a factor in sending me away. It would build on Uncle's story. If you really want to convince him, say I left out of heartbreak. I want to assist you, but I also want to find my home. I want to find my family. I'm strong enough to be on my own thanks to you. I think it's time I go."

     Tense silence covered the campsite. Anyone could have easily cut through it like a hot knife through butter. Only the oblivious would not notice it.

     In some senses, Hikari knew she was asking Zuko for permission to leave. He was her family and her best friend. She did not want to leave him with a frayed knot. This was just as important as helping him regain his title of Prince of the Fire Nation. That title would forever be with him, but he would have to chose whether he really did hold it or not.

     The old man spoke, "Why don't you stay until I can at least get you some money to travel with?"

     "It would be stupid to travel with no supplies," the other teen spoke.

     Hearing that, the girl grinned, "Of course."

     The night was restless for the two teens, both of them falling in and out of sleep. They both knew that this would be their last meeting for a long while. Whenever they would meet again would be up to fate. It was almost heartbreaking, not that either of them would admit it to themselves, or each other much less.