Chapter 18 | The Chandelier

Ron called again after no response came the first time. "I give up, Grusome!"

Heavy footsteps sounded this time and Grusome emerged in front of him on all fours. His eye was covered in blood, one cheek bloody as well. His back was scratched up and bruised, wood splinters stuck inside of it at various places. "Finally," He grunted, pushing himself up. "I'll enjoy killing you,"

"Yes," Ron began, waiting for the acromad to get under the chandelier that was above the space between them. "I feel like death has come for me,"

"Maybe you aren't a complete idiot," The acromad said. "Now the question remains: kill you off, or use you for intel?"

"I think I'd be useful for intel, yet I also long for death. I would love to betray my entire species,"

Grusome held his finger to his chin. "You've caused me enough pain, more than anyone else had ever given me. I guess it'd be best to just kill you. Any final words?"

Grusome fell to all fours and began to slowly walk towards Ron. He was now under the chandelier.

"Actually," The Keeper said. "I do,"

"Let's hear them,"

"My final words are," Ron began. "now Kyan! Do it now!"

There was a slash of chains above them as the crystal chandelier came down. Grusome saw this and launched at Ron with all his might. While the acromad was in the air and coming towards the boy, who was frozen in fear once again, the crystal menace came down upon him and crushed every inch of his body. The chandelier bounced a bit before coming to a stop on the acromad's body.

Kai floated down, all color disappearing from his body as he gently fell to the floor. He clutched the blood gushing from his stomach and falling onto the floor. Grusome may had been defeated, but Kai had still been scratched.

Ron rushed to his aid. He crouched down beside him, not knowing what to do.

"Is Kyan really dead?" He croaked.

"I—I don't know," Ron admitted. "I said that to make your powers activate,"

Kai felt angry again but knew Ron lied for a good cause. "Check," He told the teenager. "Make sure he lives. Don't worry about me. I'm gonna be turned into an acromad anyways,"

"What?" Ron jolted back slightly.

"Grusome scratched me," The Ancient Keeper explained. "If a mutated acromad scratches you, then you get turned into an acromad. That's how they grow in numbers. When I turn, kill me. Don't hesitate,"

"You aren't gonna turn," Ron told him.

"Shut up," Kai snapped. "Go save Kyan,"

Ron's eyes watered as he forced himself to leave his dying friend. Ron found Kyan still lying in the position he had been in after Grusome threw him at the wall. It would be miraculous if he had somehow managed to live.

"Kyan?" Ron asked, lowering himself down towards the Keeper and ignoring the battle going on around him.

Kyan coughed, spitting up some blood. "Ron," He choked.

"Are you okay?" The boy asked.

Kyan thought for a minute before answering. "I'll live," he declared.

"Kai's been scratched," Ron told him.

Kyan's face went pale. "Bring me to him,"

Ron picked up the injured Keeper and carried him over to where Kai was still lying on the ground. He placed Kyan beside Kai, blood covering both of them.

Kyan placed a hand on Kai's wound, dipping his hand into blood. Kai flinched but let him do it. He knew it was for the best.

Ron was confused as he watched. Kyan muttered some words under his breath, his hand beginning to illuminate. The illumination spread to Kai's wound and then throughout his body. Kai lifted slightly off the ground, all pain being relieved from his face. Kyan removed his hand, the light disappearing. Kai's wound on his chest was now gone.

"How..?" Ron asked.

"I'm an Ancient Keeper, too," Kyan explained weakly. "I'm a healer. I can heal everyone but myself,"

Kai pushes himself off the ground and kneeled beside Kyan. "You go find Syville. I'll help him,"

Ron nodded, heading outside. He descended down the steps and around the side of the building to where Syville was thrown out the window. He found him lying against the wall, eyes shut. He had managed to prop himself up but probably passed out from pain.

Ron grabbed the doctor, slinging the limp body over his shoulder and walking him back inside for Kyan to heal him like he had healed Kai.

"I did it," Ron told Syville as he hauled him inside. "I killed Grusome,"