Its a Hard Life Epilogue

Start from the beginning

He retrieved a set of forceps, a needle, and black string from his pocket, setting them onto the table next to your thigh. His knuckles brushed the exposed skin on your waist and you resisted the urge to recoil. It wasn't his fault you hated him.

Well, it kind of was, but that was besides the point.

Newt put the herbs in a mason jar full of water, then started using the forceps to remove the ugly black stitches. It stung, but you felt nothing could hurt more than the stab wound did at that point.

Although, it would hurt a lot more to be dead, wouldn't it? And Newt was the only reason you were alive at the moment. You couldn't hate him for that.

"I'm sorry." You blurted out, your face going red. You were ashamed to show such weakness, and ashamed that Newt deserved it.

Newt paused, wiping his brow. A streak of red painted his forehead where his hand went. "Thank you," He replied after a moment of silence. He didn't have to ask why you were apologizing; he knew. "And for the record... I'm sorry too."

You swallowed a lump in your throat and laughed to cover up your discomfort. "Thanks. I don't deserve that. Or this," You gestured to the stitches Newt has finally finished undoing.

"I couldn't just let you die," he said quietly, a pained look coming over his face.

You grit your teeth, averting your gaze. God, what was this feeling? This feeling eating away at your insides, chewing your conscious up like a dog toy...

Guilt.

"This might sting a little bit." Newt murmured, pulling the bundle of herbs from the jar. The water had turned a dark, ugly-looking green, and it poured out in chunks over your wound. You hissed as the water came in contact, scrunching up your shirt in your fist to counteract the pain. It wasn't the worst you'd had, but it definitely wasn't pleasant.

"Damn, do you really hate me that much?" You wheezed.

"Wha-" Newt stuttered, before he understood. "Oh." He laughed. "No, sorry."

You yelped as Newt pressed a towel over the wound. "Son of a bitch!" You yelled.

"Sorry, sorry!" Newt apologized with a wince. "Almost done, I promise." He pulled a small tub from his belt and slathered a clear looking gel onto your stomach. The pain slowly faded into the background, a cool numbness taking over your abdomen.

You sighed, throwing an arm over your eyes. "Thank god."

"Sorry," Newt murmured sheepishly. "It's over now."

"Great. That means I can leave." You swung your legs over the side of the table, ignoring the pinch in your side from the newly bound stitches.

"Wait, (Y/N)-" Newt grabbed your shoulder. 

You shrugged his hand off your shoulder, hiding your guilt-ridden gaze from his prying eyes. "You've done enough for me, Newt. I owe you a debt, I know that much- but it'd be better if I didn't see you."

"Why not?" Newt huffed.

"I owe you a debt," you repeated stiffly, picking up your jacket and shrugging it over your shoulders.

Newt was silent for a moment before a soft chuckle escaped his lips. "And you're not used to that, I'm guessing?"

A faint smile appeared on your lips before you crushed it with a scowl. "No, I'm not." You replied, gathering your wand and other belongings.

"Well, if you- if you really wanted to repay your debt to me..."

You paused, hating the sense of obligation you felt. That wasn't how you worked; that wasn't how people like you were supposed to work. "What?" You asked grudgingly, refusing to turn around to meet Newt's eyes.

"You could be my friend.'"

You whipped your head around, eyeing Newt with suspicion. "Be friends? With me? You're crazy."

Newt shrugged, redness coloring his cheeks. "I just thought... I don't know. I like you, (Y/N). Yes, we're different people- very different people- but I like you."

You paused, eyes narrowed, hand clutched onto your wand. "That's a strange way to repay a debt."

"I don't want anything else you could give me," Newt scoffed. "I don't need protection or any little favor... I just think it would be nice to have a mate. A friend."

You couldn't help the laugh that escaped your throat. Of course Newt was asking for friendship; had you ever known him to want anything less? You'd forgotten that he was kinder than you, better than you, more pure and loving than you. He came from an entirely different world, one so much lighter and brighter than the dark, rancid hole you came from. What would it hurt to dip your toes into his pool of sunshine, to deviate from your world into his? 

"Okay."

A look of shock came over Newt's face. "O-okay?"

You smiled. "Yeah. Okay. It's the least I can do."

Newt's smile broke out in full force, the nervousness draining from his face. "That's wonderful, (Y/N)," He breathed. "Really."

"Don't go getting all sappy now, you hear me?" You warned, although your tone was playful.

Newt grinned. "Don't worry. I won't."

You stuffed your wand and your wallet into your jacket pocket, which was charmed to be bigger on the inside. You didn't have to ask where the door was; you knew from years of being there. "I'll be off, then," you said, reaching for the door handle. "It seems I have things to take care of back home."

Newt grinned. "You do. See you around, (Y/N)."

"See you around, Newt."

~~~

Years passed by. You and Newt remained friends for a long while, him standing by you while you reorganized Di Vice and kicked Celine and her supporters out for good. You remained leader for a couple years following, but the more time you spent with Newt the more you realized that you didn't want to be a criminal anymore; you passed on leadership to Huck, retiring the name Switchblade for good. You forgave Newt for turning you in, and he apologized for turning you in in the first place. After you had left Di Vice, you spent your days with Newt, taking care of the animals with him. Eventually, you realized you loved him, and he loved you. You got married, and you had remained with him ever since. 

The End