Chapter 8

Chapter 8 (Kai)

Three weeks ago [one day before the start of the main story], Temple of Airjitzu

"Hey, Kai." Nya says as she returns to the living room where I am sitting at the dining table, all on my own. "Where is everyone?"

My sister was upstairs for a while, putting her daughter to bed. They always take their time to cuddle and read a bedtime story, especially now that Abby is at school and Nya is back to being a full-time Ninja.

"Sky was tired, she's already gone to bed too." I say.

"Oh, I can understand that very well." She smiles. "These final few weeks you just want it to be over... and she should rest as much as she can now, it's not like you'll get much sleep once the baby is born."

"You're probably right." I agree. "Anyway, the Nindroids are making a few upgrades on PIXAL's mech. Sel probably won't be back down for another while, she has to get the twins to sleep on her own, because Cole and Lloyd wanted to discuss some final details for the reconnaissance mission tomorrow."

"I really hope that mission will go to plan." She sighs. "Why can't we do it on another day? They know on Wednesdays I need to pick up Abby from school on time ..."

"Think positive, sis." I try to comfort her, although from experience I know that things hardly ever go to plan for us. "It's not a critical mission so, unless we're really stuck, you can just leave earlier. And Sky could even collect her for you."

"But I already don't have as much time with her as it is." Nya replies. "And you're all helping us out enough. I don't want to..."

"But we like helping you." I state. "Please, think about it."

"Alright, I will." Nya is proud and stubborn, so she always needs a little extra push to accept our help. I'll ask Skylor to talk to her as well. "If everyone's busy, I'm gonna see if Zane and PIXAL can use my assistance. Or, what are you doing?"

"As Skylor's already asleep, I'm just trying to get all the invitations for her surprise party done. Can drop the in the mail on the way tomorrow."

"How many people are you inviting?" She wonders, noticing the large pile of cards to be written.

"Well, there's Dareth, Ronin, Jay, all the other Elemental Masters, and..."

"Why are you inviting Jay?" My sister gasps. "He's not gonna answer anyway..." She adds in a low voice laced with pain.

"But I can still try." I straighten up to look her in the eyes. "Is everything alright, Nya? I've thought that you really would like to see Jay again. You're the one who still sends him all these letters, so why is this any different?"

Nya sits down next to me and leans against me. "Writing him these letters makes me feel like I'm talking to him, but I've stopped hoping for him to reply."

"Well, we've all grown up." I shrug. "And maybe one day he'll decide that he has moved on from what has happened and he will turn up."

"And that's exactly what I am worried about ..." Nya mutters.

"What do you mean?" I want to know.

"I am scared to find out that... he has completely moved on from us."

I wrap my arm around her in a side hug and she rests her head on my shoulder.

"Kai, I don't want to but after six years, I just have to accept the truth. Jay doesn't care about me or about our daughter, so if he ever shows up here, it won't be for us. And I am scared that one day he will accept one of these invitations just to rub it in our face, showing off his beautiful wife and their three adorable children and how happy they are..."