Chapter 1 >> Departure

Leaves rustled as Frostkit and Willowkit trodded noisily through them, squealing. Their noise echoed off of the gorge walls. "You nasty ShadowClan warrior! Don't you dare invade ThunderClan again, or I'll rip you to shreds!" Frostkit mewled and pounced on Willowkit's tail. Willowkit squeaked in alarm, dashing off to the shelter of the Warrior's den.

Early dawn light was just beginning to show over the horizon. The dawn patrols would be leaving soon to check the borders. Meanwhile, Frostkit chased her friend straight into Foxtooth, a rather grumpy red tabby warrior. Willowkit stumbled, landing right on top of the sleeping tom's face.

The warrior hissed and shoved Willowkit off. "Why you little piece of-" He lowered his voice to a whisper, cursing at the kits. He sat up, eyes bleary with sleep. "Can't a warrior get any rest around here?" He swiped his tongue several times over his ruffled pelt.

The two kits stared up at Foxtooth in awe; he was one of the tallest and strongest cats in the Clan. "What are you looking at? Get outta here!" He hissed. Other warriors stirred at the commotion, some opening their eyes.

Larksong, his mate, murmured, "No need to be so harsh, they're just kits," Foxtooth snorted and pushed his way out of the den. Driftbreeze the deputy, yawned and followed Foxtooth out. The two kits slunk out of the den, tails drooping.

"Willowkit! Frostkit!" The kits' ears pricked. Frostkit's mother, Fernbelly was calling them from the entrance to the nursery.

"Race you!" Willowkit mewed, and dashed across the clearing. Frostkit was hot on her paws as they skidded to a halt outside the nursery.

"Watch where you're going!" A cat hissed. Willowkit looked for who had snapped at her. She spotted Sunpaw glaring at them. Sunpaw had just been apprenticed last sunrise, but acted as if he was a senior warrior. Shrugging off his remark, she whirled around on Frostkit.

"Beat you!" She crowed. With a mew of triumph, the tiny kit leapt into the nursery. Frostkit trailed behind her friend, flopping on her side. "Whew," she panted.

Fernbelly stuck her head in. "Didn't you hear me? I said be careful around Pouncekit and Jaykit," she chided. "They are weak, and need rest,"

The kits looked at Hollyheart, Willowkit's mother. The brown tabby queen lay in the corner of the den, pelt matted and ruffled. Even though it wasn't even leafbare, Hollyheart's other kits were weak and ill, and it had only gotten worse. Both  were racked with coughs that shook their tiny frames.

Willowkit frowned at her mother's state, but turned to Fernbelly. "May we please go and watch Driftbreeze ?" They put on their best innocent kit faces, complete with inky eyes.
Fernbelly purred, "of course, loves. Just don't get in anycat's way, alright?"

"We promise," Frostkit mewed. As they passed by Fernbelly, she gave them a lick on the top of the head.

Willowkit grunted, pawing at her head. "Fernbellllly, we're hardly kits anymore!" She protested stubbornly.

Fernbelly only smiled, meowing, "only a moon until you become apprentices... StarClan, how time flies!"

Driftbreeze stood at the center of the camp right about to organize patrols. Frostkit took the lead, bounding to the deputy squealing.

Driftbreeze raised her voice so that the Clan could hear over the kits' mewls. "Beeflight, how about you take Sunpaw and Greeneyes and do a quick round at the ShadowClan border? I thought I smelled some of their scent on our territory..." Beeflight nodded and motioned Sunpaw over with a wave of his tail. Greeneyes joined them. Beeflight led the patrol out of camp. "Hunting patrol..." Driftbreeze murmured, scanning the clearing.