15. Bonfire Night

Start from the beginning

I got a few pieces of food left over from the day and enjoyed them outside as the sun went down. When I finished eating, my friends joined me. Sitting in the booth with me they talked loudly and tried to be inclusive with their conversations. I attempted to join in here and there, but my mind was elsewhere. My mind was wandering all over the place but always going back to the same thought.

Pretty soon we went our separate ways to our rooms to get ready for tonight. I picked something casual whilst on the other side of the room Leigh was doing the same. When we were done, I grabbed a few things and we walked down together. We met with everyone else outside and got into the car. The sun was setting, the car ride was a little bumpy and headlights were turned on. 

Amelia was driving with Peyton next to her whilst Leigh and I were in the back. Music was playing softly in the background and it was relaxing. Since we lived pretty close to the beach, an hour drive would get us there. It wasn't a special night or anything but people had been organising it for some time now. A lot of people were going to be there and I just hope everything would go alright.

If I saw him, I don't know what I would say. It’s been so long. I walked along side my friends, there was sand seeping in between my toes and the smell of ocean lingering in the air. Waves were crashing on the shore and loud music could be heard. Leigh put an arm around me and I pressed into his warmth. We sat down on the sand around the fire that had been lit. The place was bustling, people were everywhere, drinking, laughing, toasting marshmallows and kissing.

My friends were sitting around me in a smaller circle. I grabbed a few marshmallows from the packet and put it on a stick. I watched the fire dance in my eyes as I waited for it to cook. I pulled it out and blew on it. It was sticky but so so good. I reached out to get a few more and pretty soon I was content.

I smiled for the first time in days, I hid my smile though. But my eyes were bright and I felt so much lighter. I looked around at my friends and smiled. My eyes met Amelia's and hers were twinkling and she winked. I grinned, stuffing one last marmallow into my mouth. 

I stood up and walked to where all the drinks were, I picked out a couple and unscrewed the caps. I walked back to my friends and handed them all one. I took a small sip and laid on my back. Looking up at the stars, I felt somewhat happy and the moon was so beautiful. It was a nice night, the smell of the fire wasnt too strong which was good and kept me warm. The sky was bright and the stars were shining.

When I finished my drink I walked over to the stereo. Crouching down I pressed next a couple times until bonfire heart was playing. I felt a tap on my shoulder and I turned. My face immediately changing, my smile dropping and eyes casting downwards. It was him. 

“Hi-“ he started, I pushed past him without a second glance and kept walking but I felt a hand clutch onto my wrist. A gasp slipped out of my mouth and I stumbled. 

Zac’s POV

Kentin convinced me to come to this bonfire at the nearby beach that one of his friends had organised. I had nothing better to do and I owed him for ignoring him. I sat alone just watching the sky, the water and the fire. Kentin had stayed with me for an hour before he found his friends and joined them. He said he’ll be back but I just shrugged indifferent. I hadn't seen Alex yet, I was nervous to see him yet i really wanted to. 

I talked to a few friends that came up to me, but other than that I was bored and wanted to leave. My ride was with Kentin so I had to stay unless I could find someone else. My eyes shifted to movement, someone had approached the stereo. No one was meant to touch it though, the music changed a couple times and I approached the guy ready to tell him to go away. I tapped the guy on the shoulder and to my surprise Alex had turned around. 

My emotions changed and I struggled to get any words, a quiet “Hi-“ slipped out but then he was shouldering past me and walking away. I grabbed onto his wrist and he stopped, motionless and waiting.

“Please can we just sort this out” I pleaded. He stayed still, his wrist still caught in my grip. I loosened my hold and he slipped his hand out.

After a few moments he nodded, I motioned to an occupied area. He followed silently behind me and we sat down. We were quiet except for the noise that was all around us. In our world, it felt like that had all disappeared. 

“I’m sorry” he started not looking at me. 

“Why are you apologising, there’s nothing to be sorry about” 

“For before, you know, I was a jerk”

“It’s in the past, I’m over it” well not really, but I couldn't tell him that.

“Oh ok, um I didn't know you went here, this university I mean”

“It’s alright, no harm done right?” well besides tears.

He shifted uncomfortably, looking behind him, “Yeah, but I really am sorry, besides Amelia and I…” he trailed off and looked off into the distance.

He really was beautiful, the moonlight illuminated his features and the fire complimented them. He looked like an angel. He turned back facing me, he looked like he was deep in thought.

“It’s ok and I’m glad you came tonight, I wanted to talk to you”

“Yeah me too, thanks for understanding” He looked into my eyes and I felt that sudden urge to kiss him. I moved a little closer but he had looked away his attention shifting to something else. Amelia was approaching and I was frozen in place whilst my mind was telling me to run. I immediately moved back to a more suitable distance, kiss forgotten and mind changed.

“Zac?” she called, when she standing right in front of us.

“Uh hi” I gave her a little wave before excusing myself. I couldn't stay with him if she was going to be there. I sat down next to Kentin as he joked with his friends. I watched them at a distance, they hugged and I saw him kiss her on the cheek. I saw her laugh and lay her head on his shoulder. I grumbled, drinking a bit out of my cup.

It was too awkward to stay there especially since they were a couple. I hated seeing pda. They looked happy though and at one point I heard his laughter. It was stuck in my mind and I kept replaying it in my head over and over. He never laughed like that when he was with me. I kept glancing over. But not once did he look around for me.

I ended the night soon after that. I grabbed one more drink and walked with Kentin back to our ride. I felt someone slip something into my pocket, I spun around and I saw Alex’s retreating form. I pulled out the piece of paper once I was inside the car and I stared at it.

It was his number, there was no name or any message attached to it. But I knew it was him, I typed it into my phone and left it for the time being.

This was one step forward and maybe we were finally moving into middle ground. It’s been a long time coming I think. I held onto Kentin’s sleeve as we made the trek back to our room, I was tired and my limbs weren’t responding as they should be. 

He was practically dragging me and once the door was opened. With all the strength I had left, I collapsed onto the bed without changing. I passed out in minutes and on my mind, throughout the whole night was one person and one person only.

Alex

Maybe one day everything would be ok between us and maybe that day could be soon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hope you liked it !!

This is much shorter than usual but this is all i wanted to happen in this chapter so sorry!

Next update will be as soon as i can, i cant make any promises.

myparadise15 xx