23 - "You're sick eddie"

"RICHIE WHAT THE HELL?!" Eddie exclaims pacing around the kitchen, his phone ringing in his hands

Richie sits at the island of the kitchen on a stool while the rest of the losers are playing monopoly in the living room

"I'm so so so sorry! I thought it was MY phone!"

Eddie stares at his ringing phone still pacing. Richie sighs "Why was she so...surprised anyways? Didn't she know I was coming?"

"No!" Eddie wails declining the call from his mom "I...I told her you weren't coming so she'd let me go"

Richie looks at Eddie in disbelief "Wha-why? What? Why wouldn't I come!"

Eddie stops pacing and looks to his feet "I'm sorry Rich, she just doesn't like you. You know that. I just really wanted to come and I couldn't tell her you'd be here"

Richie sighs "Okay fine. But that isn't even the problem! What are you gonna tell her?"

Eddie looks back up and continues his pacing, watching his phone ring again

"Eddie!" Richie gets up and grabs his shoulder to stop the pacing "What are you gonna do?"

Eddie looks up at Richie. What is he gonna do. Does he need to plan this out? Can he just answer the phone and wing it?

Impulsively he answers the phone and puts it to his ear. Richie backs into the stool and sits back down.

"H-hello?"

"Eddie?! Or is this Tozier again?!

"No mommy it's me. Umm I saw you called?"

"Yes, I called! And Richie answered! You said he wasn't gonna be there and he is-"

Eddie sighs and looks at Richie "Whaaaat? Pffft no! Richie isn't here!"

Richie makes a surprised look on his face, holding back a laugh. Eddie air swats at him to shut him up

"Oh REALLY. Yeah I doubt that!"

"No! That was our other friend...Ricardo! He must've answered! You must've heard him wrong"

"Edward Frank Kaspbrak-"

"Fine! Fine fine fine fine fine Richie's here! What's the big deal anyways?!"

Sonia sighs into the speaker "Eddie bear, he's dangerous. He lives in a dangerous family-"

"Oh my god mom, just because he lives with a bad family doesn't mean he's a bad person too. Have you ever thought to give him a chance?"

"If it weren't for me he wouldn't have glasses, I think I've done enough for him. And I think you should break it off after this, I don't wanna hear that your seeing him anymore. Your lucky I don't pick you up from Oshita right now!!"

"No mom, I'm not breaking it off with Richie"

"Yes, Eddie you are"

"No MOM I'm not! I love Richie!"

Sonia goes silent for a second before speaking again "edward what do you mean..."

"You heard me! I love Richie Tozier, were practically dating, and we've kissed TWICE!"

The whole room goes silent. Eddie. Sonia. The whole cabin of losers go silent and look to Eddie with wide eyes. Richie stares at him blushing, tomato red trying his best not to smile considering the circumstance

"Eddie your sick. You are very very sick. You get home right now or I'm calling the police"

"No please I'll be home in a few days I promise-"

"I'm giving you two days to get your queer ass back home. Your sick."

And she hangs up. Eddie throws his phone down on the island and runs to Richie bursting into tears. Richie pulls him into a hug and lets Eddie cry it out.

What have I done Eddie thinks. My own mother has disowned me

One by one the rest of his friends join the hug in the kitchen. They all stand there hugging while Eddie tries to think of how do get out of his. He was just admitted to being gay to his homophobic mother, and there's gonna be a punishment. He knows it. If he's not home in two days the police will come after him and throw him in juvie or something. He could end up in the hospital until he's straight. She could put him on some other unnecessary medication and take his summer away from him. Who knows. He doesn't even wanna think about it right now.

He comes to the conclusion that he's not even going to sweat it for at least the next two days. If these are his last days of freedom, he better enjoy it