❄️Head Over Heels❄️

December 17th, 1983. The recording studio, 9:34 A.M.

Roland, Manny, and Ian were sitting down, waiting for Curt. He was abnormally late for some reason. The three boys were getting worried about him. Manny looks up at Roland. "Hey..is Curt alright? You two have been in some sort of argument for the past week." Roland gazed over at Manny and shook his head. "We're fine. We made up yesterday...I don't know why he's late." "You sure you aren't lying to me?" Roland furrowed his eyebrows. "Manny, I'm not a liar."

Manny sighed softly. "Okay, sorry dude. Ian, what do you think?" Ian looked out at the wall and thought for a moment. He opened his mouth, but before any sound came out, a door swung open. Curt walked in, his hair a complete mess with snow piled on top, and his nose was red as hell. "Curt!" Roland gasped and stood up, walking over to him. "My god, what happened to you? You look like you just got in a fight with a snow storm!

"And the snow storm won." Manny adds and grins cleverly. Ian smacks him on the head. "Ow!" Curt coldly looks down at Roland and nods. "Y-Yeah, I'm...I'm okay." He said through chattering teeth. Roland helped Curt out of his jacket and brushed the snow off of his hair. Manny stood up and walked up to Curt. "Why are you drenched with snow?" "My car broke down this morning and I had to walk here." Curt explained. 

Roland sat down and sighed deeply. "You could have asked me for a ride." Curt shook his head. "I'd trouble you too much, Ro. Anyways...What are we going to do today?" He walks over to the desk with a few papers of uncomposed songs. One titled 'Head Over Heels'.  "Is this a new song?" Curt looks over at Roland. He nodded. "I'm making this a second part of Broken..." Curt scanned through the lyrics and saw the ending lyrics. "Funny how time flies." He says aloud.

"Yeah, and then...I want the song to end with the riff of Broken." Roland stands up, and walks to the piano. "I've already composed a bit of it, would you like to hear what I have so far?" The three boys nodded. "Go ahead Ro." Curt smiled and sat down. Roland began to play the piano intro to the song. It sounded like the melody during the middle of Broken.  The trio listened, it sounded nice so far. Roland then began to sing. 

"I wanted to be with you alone...and talk about the weather..." Curt listened to his voice. He sounded great as he always did, which caused him to smile to himself. Ian and Manny looked at Curt who was admiring his buddy, and grinned. Roland stopped singing at the end of the first verse. He looked at the trio of men. "Um...How was it?" They all clapped, especially Curt. "That's actually pretty good, Ro! We could make a hit of this!

Manny smirked to himself and looked at Roland. "You know Roland, that is a good song, I have to agree with Curt...but..." Roland felt himself worry a little. "But what?" He was ready for any criticism. "I think we're ignoring the biggest question about this song!" Manny looks at Ian and Curt. They both raise their eyebrows. It was silent for a minute. "...Well, aren't you going to tell us what that question is?" Ian asked cockily. "Yeah! Roland?" Roland looks at Manny confusedly. 

"What?" "Did you write that song about somebody?" Ian and Curt looked at Roland, who was tensing up a bit. "Uhh..what? No...Um, I just wrote it..b-because-" "Quit lying!" Ian said. Manny sighed happily, getting Ian on his side now. "Um..Okay, so what if I wrote it for somebody? Lay off my bac-" "Who?!" Manny then asked. Roland looked down at the ground nervously. His heart was starting to beat rapidly. Curt looked at Roland who was internally freaking out. 

Manny and Ian shared a knowing look in their eyes. "Rolaand." Manny cooed. Roland looked up at him. "Leave me alone!" Curt stood up and placed a hand on Roland's shoulder. "You don't have to answer them, Ro..." He quietly said. Roland removed Curt's hand and stood up from the piano. "Alright." He shot a look to Manny and Ian. "I can't hold this in anymore! You two are pressuring me and I'm just going to say it..." 

Curt was confused by this sudden behavior from Roland. Before he could comment on this, Roland stared at Curt straight in the eye. "I can't believe I'm saying this but.." Roland paused and took a deep breath. "Curt Smith, I have feelings for you." Curt, Manny, and Ian gasped. "FINALLY!" Manny shouted and clapped. Curt was shocked, his face turned red and he wasn't able to speak. Roland looked down shyly and shook his head.

"Curt, I know you're my best friend but...lately, I've just been feeling so different around you. Feelings more than 'like'...I'm..I'm sorry." He quietly apologized. Curt frowned. "No, why are you apologizing? Ro...I like y-" "Alright boys, work time!" Chris Hughes popped into the door. Curt groaned loudly. "Why the fuck do I have to be interrupted all the time when I have to say this specific sentence?!" Chris, Manny, Ian, and Roland looked at Curt.

"Mr. Smith! I KNOW you did not just speak to me in that tone!" Chris scolded. Curt looked at him angrily. "We're in the middle of something important!" Chris shook his head. "Too bad! It's time to record and work on some new songs!" Curt glared at him and then sighed. He looked at Roland. "Ro...can we talk about this later?" Roland nervously nodded his head. "Um...yeah.  We can..." The rest of the night was filled with awkwardness, shyness, and anxiety.