Chapter 15: Memories

Years Ago...

"Come to church with me?" My mom asked.

I didn't even spare her a glance. Why would I praise the one who ripped my best friend away from me.

"Mom... I can't." I mumbled, releasing a breath I didn't know I was holding.

"Honey, everything happens for a reason and I believe she will find her way back to you again."

"Honestly, I can't do one of your "God's not at fault" speeches right now."

She sighed.

I tell her, "I'm going to lay down."

I make my way to my bedroom and after a few minutes, I hear the front door close.

-----------------------------------------------------------

"Come on Kyle, please!! Please answer the phone!!" I sob, pain spreading throughout my stomach, a cold feeling settling into my heart.

Blood leaves me, seeping into my sheets, bound to leave stains. My eyes watch in horror as I clutch my stomach. His phone goes to voicemail.

A wail escapes my mouth as I immediately follow up with a phone call to my mother. She answers instantly.

"Mom! Please, I think I'm losing the baby...."

She hangs up. I know she is coming. I call Kyle again. No answer.

More and more blood surrounds me, so much I'm sure everything has turned red. Outside of my bedroom, the world is silent, unaware, unmoving. Time continues.  Time for me has forced itself to a halt and I don't get the peace of silence, for all I can register are my screams.

Mom. Hospital. Doctors. Your child is gone. Tears, nasty tears. Mom again. Please, stay the night for observation. All of these things mattered, but didn't. Where's Kyle? I would always remember this as the night he wasn't there when I needed him, which was a first. The night we lost "our" child.
-----------------------------------------------------------

I release a shaky breath. My hands and my armpits begin to sweat. My dress feels tight and my hair too casual.

"Honey, calm down. You look beautiful and there is no reason for you to be nervous." My mother exclaims.

Wringing my hands together I nod in confirmation.

Nope. Still nervous.

She chuckles, sitting next to me and turning my head towards her. She turns serious, but there is a tiny bit of amusement in her eyes.

"Do you really want to marry Kyle? Or do you feel like you have to?'

"No..I love him. Of course I want to marry him." I reply.

"Are you having doubts or that today isn't the right day to get married?"

"What! No!"

"Are you seeing someone else?"

"Mom! How dare you say that!"

At this, she busts out laughing. I glare at her. In the mist of her laughs, she remarks, "Than what are you worried about?"

I sigh. She calms.

"I'm getting married Mom. Aren't those nerves within itself?"

She nods and mumbles an inaudible 'Yeah'.

She follows up with, "That's good. It means your ready."

"I don't feel ready," I reply, "I feel like I'm going to hurl."