Chapter 7: Live Your Life

Kyle was blinded the night he ran back into his burning home to save is sister. Nakia. The one who forgot to unplug the very tool she believed made her beautiful. The tool that created much destruction and changed their life forever. But he can still see. Kyle sees the best in me, the best in everyone. The way he sees me is something I will never understand. When his hands trace my face, my body, it never seems as if he thinks I'm familiar. He treats me as if I'm something new. Something he knows, but someone who never gets old.

Everyone one has a story to tell, just like we have ours. Ours isn't anything special. But it's something amazing to us. I am not perfect. Our beliefs always clash. With him believing in God, and me believing in nothing. I never really understood why we are together. Why he tries to help me believe.

Maybe it's because we love each other. Maybe it's because he sees something in me. I've tried the whole church thing. It never works. I can't put my faith in someone I can't see. Can't Kyle just be enough? I believe in him. He got me through the hard times I faced. Why can't that be enough?...

August 20, 2019, 7:16 pm

Simone's writing was beautiful. I see the character. I feel where they are coming from. That is what writing is supposed to be, an piece of the author touching the reader. It feels as if they were part of her, the characters only being an extension of her.

I've realized I didn't believe. I realize I have to start from scratch with Kyle. I realize Lee has been gone for years. She says we pushed each other away. I will help rebuild that bridge. I realize people like my Mom and Papa are there to support me.

Pushing myself out of the chair and trotting over to my bed, I call Lee. 

We have not talked in many years, but my mother got a hold of her and convinced her to return. My mom wants me to remember the past. Lee will do that for me, so she believes.

"Simone?" Lee says, sounding surprised to see my call.

"Hey! I need your advice on something."

Her voice lights up and she exclaims, "What is it?"

"I need to ask....." I tell her.

I begin to overthink, wondering if she could even help me, if I should even bother? Isn't trying to rebuild my life easy enough? Wringing my hands, awkward seconds of silence passed.

I can practically hear her roll her eyes through the phone. She asks, "What is it you need Simone?"

I take a deep breath, "I'm trying to get get a grip on life and figure out what I want to do. These last few weeks I have done nothing, I haven't lived. It's not intentional, I just don't know what to do. How do I resume my life? I'm completely stuck. I need to find my thing. I'm thinking writing?"

"Why?" Lee asked, almost like she was interviewing me. "Why writing?"

I thought about it for a second.

"Seeing what I used to write, I've seen what I could do. The way I've seen my mom light up over those stories makes me want to keep her happy. Kyle talks about my writing skills like they're legendary. It was all I ever did, I don't know anything else." I explained sincerely.

"Simone, are you doing this because you genuinely want to or because others what you to?"

"I-" I didn't know.

"You don't know, do you? The Simone I knew was a people-pleaser, which wasn't always a bad thing. This time though, don't you dare live your life the way others want you to. You need to find out what makes you happy and do it. If it is writing, then go for it, but don't jump in to something because you feel you have to. Take some time, talk to God and reassess your goals."

I smiled. I had a feeling I had talks like this before. "Thanks, Bestie."

Lee replies, "No problem, Bestie."