Too Much

He was laying on his back, just staring up at his ceiling. It had been 3 months since you both decided to break up. He had been alone for 3 months. He regretted the break up. Your relationship wasn’t fair to either of you. Towards the end of it, you were both forcing yourselves to be together. You guys were dubbed as Hawkins “It Couple”, everyone thought you guys would be together for forever.

-

When you guys were first dating, it felt like you had all the time in the world to be together but, as your relationship came to an end it felt like time had passed you guys by, almost like it was waiting for you to catch up. You had tried to make it work, you really did. You loved each other deeply, and you loved being together but, it felt like there was a lot of pressure on you to be together.

Your parents thought you were perfect for each other, your friends thought that you would marry each other, then there was the party,  they looked up to you and Steve so much. Everyone was devastated when they heard that you broke up, you both felt like you failed everyone.

As Steve thought about all of this, he realized that he didn’t know who he was without you. You started dating in December of ‘84 and you broke up November of '85. He spent a whole year investing himself into another person, so much so that he didn’t know how to function without you.

You guys had a good thing going but, could too much of a good thing be a bad thing? Maybe that’s what happened, it was all too much. Too much pressure, too much time with each other, too much love, and too much of each other.  He hated thinking that but, it’s the truth.

It seemed like you guys were never apart. You would visit him while he was working at Scoops Ahoy, and as soon as he got off of work you would go hang out at his house, then you would spend the night and have breakfast then, hang out before he had to go to work again. It was like a never ending cycle. He got so used to you sleeping next to him, that he had a hard time sleeping without you, his bed was a lot colder than it used to be.

You had smothered each other in love. Which, isn’t necessarily a bad thing, usually it’s a great thing but, when it came to the two of you, it was too much. You guys had been so caught up with love that there no time for you to come up for air. Steve was still letting life pass him by, and being alone wasn’t helping. He definitely made mistakes, so did you, you both did. The biggest mistake was that you guys had spent so much time together, that you both didn’t know how to be apart.

He remembered that at one point, you both knew that you didn’t love each other but, you still forced yourselves to be a couple. He didn’t know when he stopped loving you, he didn’t know when you stopped loving him, it didn’t matter. When it got to that point though, he knew that it was time for things to come to an end. The night you talked about it, he called you over saying that it was really important, he explained to you his thoughts and he was relieved when you said that you had been feeling the same way. He didn’t want to break up with you, and you didn’t want to break up with him, you both still cared about each other, you just didn’t love each other anymore. After talking it out for what felt like hours, you both had decided that it was for the best. You both felt relieved when you broke up. It was a giant weight lifted off his shoulders, there no longer any pressure to stay together, or any hard feelings. So can too much of a good thing be a bad thing? In the case of Y/N and Steve, the answer is yes.