Pointless Conversations

“Stay, please.”

You wanted to say no, it was late and you needed to get home.

“Steve, my parents will be worried. I can’t stay.”

You had drove Steve back home from a stupid party, and now he was asking you to stay over.

“Just tell your parents you’re staying the night at the Wheeler’s, tell them that Nancy got too drunk and she needs you.”

You thought it over for a few seconds and you finally gave in.

“Fine.”

“Yes! Now hurry up and get in my house.”

You were laying next to Steve on his bed, you were making pointless conversation. It was getting to be super late, you guys always did this, one of you would stay over the other’s house and you would make pointless conversation until the other fell asleep.

“Ya know what I just thought about, Steve?”

“No, what?”

“I don’t think my cat has heard a dog bark”

“What are you talking about Y/N”

“My cat, Fluffy, he’s an inside cat, so, I’m pretty sure he’s never heard a dog bark, he’s gone 5 years without hearing a dog bark. I’ve sheltered my cat for 5 years.”

“Okay, Y/N, I think it’s time for bed.”

You guys went to bed, this is one of the many pointless conversations you’ve had with Steve at 2 or 3 in the morning. You always thought they were dumb but, little did you know that they were one of Steve’s favorite things that you did together.

-

You and Steve had grown up together, you have vivid memories of playing tag in Steve’s house, you would trip and fall, the fall would earn you a bruise or two. You and Steve were always together. Your parents told you that one day, you and Steve were going to date, and then in the future you would get married. You always brushed their words away, you hadn’t thought about Steve in that, until recently.

You and Steve got closer, if that was even possible, you guys did things a couple would do, and everyone thought you were dating each other, which gave you hope that maybe Steve was thinking of you in that way too.

-

It felt like you were always brought back to Steve’s room to talk about whatever came to your mind.

“Would you ever leave Hawkins?”

This was a common conversation between you and Steve, he dreamed of getting out of Hawkins, you were more hesitant about getting out of Hawkins.

“I don’t know Steve”

You both were laying on Steve’s bed just staring at the ceiling.

“Why?”

“Because, my family is here, my whole life has been in Hawkins, and I don’t know if I’m ready to leave yet. I mean I want to get out of here, just not yet.”