Chapter One

"I don't like this Mercy."

I scowled over at Serena who had her arms nervously wrapped around herself as if this was her first time wandering past the border.

"Ive got a very bad feeling about this tonight guys." She whimpered.

We were breaking a rule to be out here tonight, the biggest and most important law of our pack, never go beyond the wall.

Luke scoffed aloud and threw his arms over our shoulders, bringing us tightly into his chest. "Tonight's the night, ladies."

Pushing against him Luke released us from his grasp. He grinned mischievously, his white teeth gleaming in the moonlight

"Tonight is the night...one giant leap for...well, us." He announced resolutely.

Luke took my hand and tugged me along further into the woods, in no particular direction--completely platonically. Serena trailed behind us timidly but that was nothing out of the ordinary there.

We walked for what felt like years but in reality I knew was probably no more than a few hours when we reached this beautiful clearing. It was like the forest opened up completely to create the most beautiful view of the full moon just for us.

"Mercy! Did you hear that?"

I rolled my eyes and attempted to lighten the mood, "I heard you whining but that's about it."

Serena sped up to us and clung to Luke's other arm, "I think there's something coming."

Suddenly a twig loudly snapped from beside us.

That, I heard.

My brow creased as I squinted looking into the shadowed forest for any sign of life, any sign of what Serena was worried about.

Another twig snapped, leaves came to life rustling with movement and we all fell silent with bated breath waiting for the oncoming intrusion.

A possum crept across the beaten path with three little ones scurrying merrily behind.

I groaned loudly and gently shoved Serena, "See, i told you!"

I let out a satisfied laugh as I jogged ahead further into the clearing. I threw my arms into the air and spun gleefully before collapsing into the soft grass and laying on my back so I could get a better view of the sky. "There's absolutely nothing to be afraid of out here," Closing my eyes, I breathed deeply and tucked my hands behind my head, "I've never felt safer and more alive than right now in this moment."

I waited to hear Serena start griping at me and I heard nothing. I waited to hear Luke try and mediate between us but I didn't hear anything. I propped myself up on my elbows, "Or don't respond to me, that's okay too..."

My sarcastic and albeit childish remark trailed off when I sat up and was able to see Luke and Serena's faces.

Their faces were frozen in sheer terror, their eyes fixated on something behind me. I could hear heavy breathing from behind, no doubt the source of their scared faces.

"Boo."

Oh sh:t.

I scrambled off of the floor, stumbling away from the stranger to return to Serena and Luke. He was clearly a werewolf like us but what was troubling was that I couldn't place his scent which meant one of two things:

Either he was a rogue or he was from some foreign pack that we had no idea about because we were completely isolated from everyone and everything because of the twisted wall rule.