Chapter 4

*Edited*

Lauren

My mother was already making dinner as I walked into the house. It had been just me and her once my father had taken off. Since then I had been a loner most of the time which caused me to have some problems at my previous school so I had decided to switch during the semester .

I was supposed to be doing homework, but I ended up laying on my bed scrolling through Instagram. Part of me wanted to find this mysterious girl's Instagram, but there would be no way for me to find it or even know what her name was unless...

Me: Jenna, do you know what that girls name was?

I waited for a reply, watching Netflix now. My friend had recommended the 100, and I was taking her advice...yet I still should've been doing homework. About five minutes later, she answered.

Jenna: What girl?

Me: The one that you were afraid of.

Jenna: Oh, her. I told you not to get involved in that

Me: I know, just gimme her name

Jenna: I think it's Phoenix or something idk man, Don't get involved in them okay?

Me: Yeah, yeah, yeah don't worry

I typed in "Phoenix" into the search of Instagram but couldn't find anyone who was close to who I saw today in class. I played with my hair, a nervous habit I had picked up since I was a little kid. I guess I'd have to wait till tomorrow to see her again.

"Lauren get your butt up, dinners ready." I sighed as my mom knocked on my door. I loved my mom but she could be overbearing and personal space was not something that existed in our house.

I made my way downstairs and heard the TV faintly.

"Citizens are warned to stay indoors after the sun has set until this wild animal is caught. Please stay away from the woods and avoid going hiking until the animal is caught. At this time the identity of the two people found in the woods is unknown..."

"What happened?" I asked my mom as I walked downstairs

"Two people were found killed in the woods a few hours ago. I guess the family who lives on the woods border found them. It must've been bad as they wouldn't show pictures of the scene." My mind immediately went to Phoenix. It was her family who had found the bodies, how would that affect her? There was still quite a bit of daylight left and I grabbed some food off the counter.

"I'll be back, I gotta go help this girl I met in my chem class." Before my mom could interject I had grabbed my coat and was out the door. All I knew was the house was next to the woods, so using common sense, I walked in the direction of the trees.

Their house wasn't big, but it wasn't small either, it seemed just the right size. A feeling of...comfort? Came over me. At least I thought it was comfort. I couldn't be sure. The first step creaked under my foot and I doubted its ability to hold me, yet putting more pressure on it showed it would hold my weight.

My knuckles barely rapped on the door when a young woman came to answer. It was the same girl I had seen sitting with Phoenix at school that day.

"What can I do for you?" My brain answered, my mouth however, did not. I stood there gaping at her with my jaw moving back and forth not moving. Before I could get both of them to connect, Phoenix came into view. Her eyes locked with mine and I could see the tension visibly drain out of her body before she became rigid once more. My mouth and brain finally corresponded...somewhat.

"Erm. Hi, I'm Lauren I...um heard the news and wanted to tell you how..sorry? I am? I guess because you had to find those bodies in the woods like that." The girl at the door offered a small smile to me.

"My name is Rochella, it's good to meet you finally. Why don't you come in and get warm, it's getting cold out tonight." I sputtered yet again.

"I really can't. I have to get home before curfew and I'm already in trouble as it is."

"Did you walk here?" Feebly I nodded.

"Come in, you can call your mom from the home line and tell her where you are. You shouldn't be here while this threat is so close." This time it was Phoenix who spoke, was that worry I saw flashing in her eyes? I timidly stepped in, yet I felt at home and safe here for some reason. The house was cozy, not one you'd expect for so many people living there. It was cabin like, small, cozy, but enough room. Rochella led me to the kitchen and handed me the landline.

I dialed out and my mom picked up on the first ring.

"LAUREN MAY YOU ARE IN SO MUCH TROUBLE, WHERE ARE YOU?"

Was the first thing I heard as the line opened. I grimaced and held the phone a distance from my ear.

"Mom I'm at my friends house, I was helping her with homework, I'm sorry I ran out I had just remembered and almost left her hanging..."

"YOU GET YOUR DAMN ASS BACK TO OUR HOUSE NOW BEFORE WE HAVE SOME PROBLEMS!"

By the amused looks on Rochella and Phoenix's faces they could hear my mom.

"It's getting really dark and my friend told me I should stay at her house for the night because of the threat that's been out here recently." There was silence on the other end.

"I wanna talk to this friend of yours." Phoenix stepped forward as if expecting her to say this and I handed her the phone.

"Hello Ms. May, it's a pleasure to finally talk with you."

"Who are you?"

"My name is Phoenix, I'm a friend of Lauren's. I'm in her Chem, Language, and History class."

"Are your parents okay with Lauren staying there for the night?"

"Yes, of course they are. We just finished making dinner and she's welcome to stay here and eat. We can take her to school in the morning as well." She said a few more things to my mom before they hung up.

"You're all cleared to stay here, you can spend the night in the guest room, Rochella will show you there. Dinner will be on the table soon. You're welcome to the bathroom on the second floor and anything else you need." I nodded mutely still wondering how she had calmed the beast of my mother.