When I knelt down in front of him, he started sniffing my clothes and face. I probably should've been more careful around him, but I still had the feeling I had nothing to be worried about with him. Besides, he had never showed any kind of aggression towards me. On the contrary, he seemed sweeter than some of the dogs I had encountered in my life.

"Want to go for a walk?" I asked, and he tilted his head. "I'm not in a hurry to go back anytime soon."

I stood up again and took a step away from him to see if he would follow. He did after a short moment of hesitation. I had a big smile on my face as I started making my way deeper into the forest. I couldn't walk fast because of all the snow, but once we found a narrow trail, it got much easier to move.

"Should I give you a name?" I asked after a moment. The wolf was walking in front of me, and he suddenly stopped to look at me. "How about Blackie?"

He snorted quite loudly.

"Okay, how about... Spot?"

I thought I saw him rolling his eyes just before he continued walking forward.

"Yeah, you don't even have spots..." I muttered, trying to think of another name. "Muffins?"

He stopped to glare at me with his fur standing up from head to tail.

"Okay then, no Muffins," I said with a chuckle. "Well, since you're not being helpful at all, I'll just call you Wolfie."

I think he was fine with that. At least his fur wasn't standing up anymore. We continued walking in silence for a while. I didn't mind that he couldn't talk, because for one, I was just glad I had company, and two, he was replying to me in his own way. He seemed to understand me pretty well.

"And now I have proof that I'm crazy," I chuckled quietly. Wolfie stopped to look at me over his shoulder. "You can understand me. Wolves don't understand human language," I explained.

Wolfie let out a silent whine, and walked to me, wagging his tail slowly. I had the feeling he was sorry for me.

"Don't worry about me. I've had plenty of imaginary friends before, so I'm used to this," I told him. "It just sucks that my caretakers think I have an actual friend... When they find out I went cuckoo again, they'll get sad..."

I kneeled down on the snow, letting out a deep sigh. "Why me?" I muttered out loud. "Why can't I just be normal..."

The wolf sat in front of me and sniffed my cheek. His whiskers tickled my face and I laughed shortly, scratching him behind his ears. "You seem real though."

Everything was just so damn confusing, but I really didn't want to go down that path, so I gave the wolf a smile.

"Want to play fetch?" I asked. He pinned his ears back and lowered his head. He did not look amused. "No? Are you sure?" I asked and stood up. I spotted a sturdy-looking stick close by and grabbed it. "Come on – I know you want it."

I waved the stick in front of him, but he just glared at me with a disgusted look on his face.

"You don't like fetch?" I asked and threw the stick slowly a few feet away from me. "Not even a little?"

Wolfie stood up with a deep sigh, and walked to the stick as unenthusiastically as a wolf ever could. He grabbed it with his teeth and turned to look at me. He was not happy, but he still brought it to me.

"Good boy, Wolfie," I cheered and petted his head when he dropped the stick at my feet. "Again?" I asked and threw the stick further away.

He turned to look up at me with an expression that clearly said, are you kidding me? Then, he sighed again and walked after the stick. I was enjoying his expressions way too much for my own good.

"Who's a good boy?" I asked when he returned to me, dropping the stick at my feet. He just stared at me in a disapproving manner. "Again?"

I threw it for the third time, and Wolfie went after it. On the fourth time he was almost running when he went to get it. I had the feeling he was warming up to it. When he came back that time, he didn't give it back to me right away. Instead I had to try to take it from him, but how do you take anything from a wolf? He gave up soon after.

"Are you ready?" I asked, gathering up all my strength to throw the stick as far as I could. Wolfie kept his eyes on it the entire time, and this time I knew he was being serious.

He ran after it, moving with ease through the snow, and caught it in mid-air. I cheered at him when he ran back to me. He kept showing off his hunting skills after that. Every time I threw it, he ran after it, jumping high up in the air to catch it. He didn't let it fall on the ground even once. He was very impressive to look at.

But then, when my shoulder started aching and his breathing had grown heavy, he suddenly stopped, holding the stick in his mouth. He turned to look somewhere on his left. I followed his gaze, but I couldn't see anything. Not at first.

"Oh no..." I muttered, when I finally saw them. Two other wolves, staring at us.

Wolfie spat the stick on the ground and turned to face them. He let out a deep growl, but the two other wolves didn't seem to care. I retreated a few steps, not knowing if I was in danger or not. Wolfie took a step towards them, growling even louder. The other one was pure white and way smaller than the other two, but the second one was huge! It was way bigger than Wolfie even. His fur was dark, but even in the darkness I could tell he wasn't black like Wolfie. Brown, maybe.

When the reality finally hit me, I almost panicked. The two wolves were peering at me, and I suddenly realized I had no chances to escape if they decided I'd make a good meal.

That was when Wolfie lost his patience with the two. He made a short dash towards them, demanding them to leave. Finally, the other two decided to take a hike. Wolfie followed them for a couple of steps, making sure they wouldn't come back.

It took him a moment, before he returned to me. He seemed upset, and he didn't even look at the stick anymore, when he walked to me.

"I guess playtime is over?" I asked quietly with a shaky voice, feeling nervous and unsafe.

He let out a short grunt, before he started walking towards the orphanage. I turned to look after the two other wolves, but I couldn't see them anymore. Wolfie let out a short mumbling sound, so I turned to face him again. He was clearly waiting for me.

"Okay," I said quietly, and hurried to him. I felt immediately better now, knowing he would protect me if the duo would return.

I started feeling a bit sad that our time together had come to an end so abruptly, but I didn't feel like staying out in the forest much longer, knowing that there were other wild beasts close by. I was grateful for Wolfie for walking me back to the orphanage. I knew this forest pretty well, but it was hard to tell where I was when it was so dark everywhere, so I would've gotten lost without him.

Soon later, once I could see my home behind the last trees, Wolfie stopped walking. I knelt down in front of him and gave him a hug.

"Thank you," I said quietly. "This was really great, even though those two scared the crap out of me," I chuckled, still feeling a bit restless.

He licked my cheek shortly and wagged his tail. I hugged him again, before I stood back up. "I'll see you tomorrow?"

He tilted his head and let out a small bark.

"I'll take that as a yes," I smiled at him. "I'll see you tomorrow then."