(9)

"I'll offer you a deal," the brown-haired woman said to the bystanders as stepped forward, "we'll exit without harming anyone. We just want those kids."

"Lies," Isen hissed, eyes gleaming as he addressed the rest of the diner, "you know what these people do in order to keep you guys silent. Besides, I can sense their abilities. They're weaker than us but they have strength in numbers. Siding with them will lead to all of us getting killed."

"If you join us, you might get some rewards for catching a criminal," Remi piped up, eyeing the onlookers warily.

"We don't want the rewards of the government," hissed a man.

"Then you will receive the protection of a Superhero who isn't dead. Besides, do you really want to succumb to your fear and let these criminals get away with the things they've done?" Blyke demanded, voice itching with disgust.

The brown-haired woman made a quick two finger motion towards her allies. Fire.

A young girl screamed as Remi thrust out her hand, eyes glowing amber with her ability activated. Blyke's hands enclosed hers, his red aura melting into her lightning. As one, they struck.

The shield of lightning and energy locked into place as Isen charged, delivering one-punch K.Os to many of the opposing mid tiers.

Their mysterious attacker cursed and turned back, the diner's door flying out with a slam. Isen, narrowed his eyes, preparing to lock onto the chase, but Remi thrust out a hand to stop him.

"Ouch!" He rubbed his shoulder and glared at Remi, her ability had still been activated.

"Sorry." Remi turned to the onlookers. "Um, you guys can go back to what you were doing before. The danger's gone. I doubt they'll send in reinforcements when we're still here...or when we leave."

The doors to the diner slid open once again and in walked Elaine and Arlo, who took in the distressed state of the place.

"What...just happened?" Elaine asked.

"You guys arrived very late. You owe us an explanation," Remi folded her arms, eyeing Arlo in particular. "And where's Sera?"

"Not right now," breathed Arlo, "we'll tell you guys on the way. Just...follow us."

"Ah...John and Doctor Darren are also missing," Isen realized.

Blyke eye's widened before groaning. "We should have celebrated another time. Clearly, there's more of them around here."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Seraphina had been keeping tabs on the restaurant

Seraphina had been keeping tabs on the restaurant. Once the offenders left, she signaled to Arlo and Elaine and began scaling the walls. Arlo threw his shields around Elaine.

"Keep out of sight," he hissed, "and if we're in trouble, return to the others and tell them what happened." The healer nodded, wide-eyed.

A person in the group had turned around the second after Arlo activated his ability. "High tier, twenty feet away."