(1)

"We're against Agwin today," Arlo announced. He took a bite out of the infamous triple chocolate cake and slid the plate over to Remi. The Queen of Wellston had been eyeing the cake for a while and she was still quite miffed over the fact that Blyke had refused to share his slice. Arlo smirked the girl sitting diagonally from him. "What do you think about that, Seraphina?"

The Ace of Wellston had been quiet for several minutes as Arlo, Remi, and Blyke discussed the current events involving Wellston. Their most recent topic was now Turf Wars.

"They have something new to show us," Seraphina murmured, meeting his gaze, "and they think they stand a chance against us."

Arlo snorted at this.

"We aren't unbeatable, Arlo," added Remi, "and we're lucky that Sera got her powers back to fill in for one of us." And now she's also on our side, the Queen didn't need to add.

"Remi, your ability level grew stronger," Blyke muttered, "and you would have beaten Agwin's new queen if you showed up. She's not even a high tier."

"She could be though," Remi argued, "if my level improved, then hers must have as well. Agwin has never lost against anyone besides us."

Arlo or Blyke must have briefed her about Rein, Seraphina realized.

"You think their king was replaced?" Blyke demanded.

"No," Seraphina said. Arlo's eyes were full of amusement as they flicked towards hers. She ignored him and forged on, "I have a feeling it's their jack."

Blyke groaned and said, "If I lose the first match..."

"You won't," Remi said, "But it doesn't matter anyway because I'll take your position during the second round. I want my shot at Rein." They stared at her in confusion as she continued, "I'm not sure which ability is superior. Yes, I may be stronger than her. But I still want to see if her ability could trap mine. In theory, we're weaker against a full army of cripples bearing weapons, right?"

Arlo broke the silence with a snort and Remi flushed, rearing up at the sound--

"Rein isn't a cripple," Arlo said. He then patted her arm reassuringly, "you'll do just fine. You're several points ahead of her anyway. And you're Wellston's queen."

Blyke's eyes flickered as he saw this but said nothing when Arlo's hand pulled away again.

"I think the reason why Blyke hasn't finished his cake yet is that he might be willing to share with you," Arlo said as he stood up, "and meeting adjourned. Lunch is ending in 5 minutes anyway." He was the first to leave, throwing the door with a flourish only a Royal could do.

Blyke glanced at the door before staring at Remi. "Err, gotta go...find Isen!"

"Not after you give me that slice!"

Seraphina waited until Remi chased him before announcing to the room quietly, "I know you're there."

She received no response so she thrust out her hand, freezing the entire room before she left, heading to her next class.

Their eavesdropper was three minutes late to class by the time Seraphina's spell wore off. Not that he felt the minutes going by.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

BONUS:

Presenting...Remi, the Queen of Hearts!

Edit 10/20/18: The quality and plot of the book will become much better as you get into it! Please don't get your expectations up too high, just think of this book as (right now) multiple short stories/events combining into one

Edit 10/20/18: The quality and plot of the book will become much better as you get into it! Please don't get your expectations up too high, just think of this book as (right now) multiple short stories/events combining into one. We're on "Arc One" right now! :)