The Christmas War

3rd Person POV

It is that time of year again.

The time of year when the Hollands and L/Ns put up their Christmas decorations. Every year they try to one up each other and it is honestly terrifying how much money they spend on lights. Everyone on the street is surprised they haven't blown a fuse yet.

Hollands made the first move. The youngest plugged in a blow up penguin that lit up at night. To the L/Ns, that penguin is a threat.

The Christmas competition is quite funny actually. After the holiday season is over, neither family goes on to speak about the extravagant lights, they pretend that nothing ever happened.

Y/N thinks the competition is stupid. For years, she's watched her family and Harry's family put up colorful lights to flash each other. Harry Holland is a very cute boy Y/N happens to be neighbors with.

Both yards are full of lights and plastic Santas, and the snow has finally fallen in England. Snowy weather means making snowmen and snow angels, according to Y/N.

"Oh my god," Y/N groans as she attempts to roll the giant ball of snow. "Why did I think this was a good idea?"

"You need some help?"

The voice scared Y/N so bad, she squeals as she falls into the snow. Of course, the voice happens to be Harry Holland. He pulls Y/N up from the snow and brushes the snow off of the girl's coat and hat.

"I-I-I— sure," Y/N stammers.

Harry smiles down at the girl and begins to pile up another ball of snow in his arms. Y/N takes the chance to make a smaller ball of snow to make the head of the snowman. After doing the whole bottom half of the snowman, there was no way she would do another huge chunk of the snow creature.

The middle part of the snowman is completed as soon as Y/N hears Harry let out a huge sigh. He pretends to wipe sweat from his brow with a cheeky smile on his face. "Let me run home and grab a carrot for his nose, I'll be right back." Y/N watches him sprint across the street with his hands resting in his pockets and warm breath in the air. Once he goes into his house, Y/N snaps out of her thoughts and continues to pile snow into the small ball for the snowman head.

Harry Holland has broken the unspoken rule: never interact with neighbors during holiday season.

Y/N doesn't care, she is quite happy this is happening. Plus, Harry is so nice. Why must the families hate each other.

"So, I found an old hat and some random scarf as well. Do you know were we could find sticks for arms or something for the eyes?" Harry stops right in front of the snowman and smiles at the girl. He hands her the scarf while he stretches the hat over the head of the snowman.

"I have an apple tree in my backyard, we could probably steal some branches some it and find some rotten apples. I don't know what else to use." Y/N laughs, which makes Harry laugh too. Thank goodness, there is some humor in this boy.

Harry nods his head, then points down at the scarf in Y/N's hands. That's right, the scarf. She quickly wraps it around the snowman's neck and secures is nicely.

The two of them walk around Y/N's house to get into her backyard. Harry decides to grab two branches for the arms while Y/N stuffed her arms full of old apples. It wasn't her first choice, but apparently, Harry didn't want to smell like apple for the rest of the day. Total bullshit.

"Y/N M/N L/N, what the hell are you doing with a Holland kid?" Her Dad yells from the top of the porch. Both kids turn around very fast and stare up at the man. Nobody said a word.

"We—we are hanging out, like teenagers do in the winter." Y/N's quivering voice says. Her goal was not to seem nervous, but she ends up dropping at least four apples from being so clumsy.

"I want you inside," her dad begins to turn away, "now!" He walks back inside the home, slamming the backdoor shut.

"I'm sorry," Y/N says quietly. She scrambles to pick up the apples off the floor, but they kept falling out of her arms the more she moves. Harry leans over too, helping her grab the apples and holding them in his own arms.

"Here, let's go finish the snowman," a kind smile flashes over his face. Everything will be alright.

Harry grabs a couple more apples from Y/N's arms, making sure she doesn't drop anymore on the ground. Once they got back to the snowman, they drop all of the supplies at their feet and begin to assemble the snowman.

"Would," Harry gulps, shoving the rotten apple a little too far into the snowman's head. He pulls the eye back, laughing from his own clumsiness. Naturally, it makes Y/N laugh too. "Oh dear god, that is not how I wanted to ask for your number. I nearly ruined your snowman head!"

"Don't bother, this was only supposed to be a meaningless activity. You showing up is the highlight of my day." Y/N brushes the leftover snow off of her gloves, wiping them back and forth until most of it is gone. "We have to be quick, about exchanging numbers I mean, I don't want my Dad to see us."

Harry lights up at the mention of numbers. He quickly pulls out his phone and gives it to Y/N, as she does the same thing for him.

"Now go!" Y/N giggles, lightly shoving Harry towards his house once his phone is back in his hands again. "I'll text you tonight. Bye, Holland."

Y/N sprints back into her house, leaving Harry at the end of her driveway. It takes him a couple seconds to walk back to his house, because there was another stupid smile plastered all over his face.

Those stupid smiles are going to kill Y/N, and in a good way.