Part Two. Chapter Eight. Michael

Start from the beginning

Alex fidgeted slightly and I worried that Eric had been too forward.  "You don't have to tell us, if you're not ready to share," I offered him an escape route.  He gave me a small, grateful smile and I felt like my heart was melting in my chest.

He shook his head and took a deep breath, centring himself.  "Three years ago.. I watched the man I thought I was in love with get married to his mate," he told us, his voice quite.  Thank the goddess for supernatural hearing.  We remained quiet as he continued; "and on the same day, I was rejected by the man that turned out to be my mate."  My wolf whined in pity, wanting to reach out and nuzzle our boy, to share his grief and then he growled angrily at the men who dared hurt him.  I reminded the beast that if not for his past, the Goddess wouldn't have gifted us his future and he quietened down.

"Sweetheart," Eric was more physical than I when offering his sympathy; his arms reached around to embrace Alex.  "Shall I hunt them down for you? Tear them limb from limb?"  My wolf snorted, I felt as if he was looking at me and suggesting that he was with Eric on this one.  I inwardly rolled my eyes at him.  Since when did violence ever solve anything?

Alex chuckled a little and nestled into Eric's hold causing his tiger to purr like a kitten.  "It's alright," Alex said.  "Marcus didn't know about my feelings for him and his mate Jenny was so lovely, I couldn't summon even a slither of dislike for her.  As for David... I am better off without him."

"I totally agree," I said and voiced the same thing that I had told my wolf.  "If this David hadn't been so blind and stupid, we wouldn't be blessed with you in our lives."  Alex blushed, his point of focus dropped.  That told me that no how much Eric had broken through his defences, he was not quite ready to believe in us yet.  We would just have to reassure him over and over again, but that was fine by me and my wolf.

"Michael is right," Eric said and then whispered as if I wasn't there; "Don't tell him that though, I don't want him to get a swollen head."  Alex laughed at my expense.  I didn't mind though.  He could laugh at me all he wanted so long as he accepted me, accepted us.  Eric began to stroke his hair, causing him to shiver, no more resistant to the sparks of attraction that flashed between all of us than we were.  "Was it because you are human that the rejection effected your sense of taste, I wonder?"

"I don't know," Alex mentioned.  "It was just.. when I woke up from the coma..."

"Coma?" I found myself interrupting.  Just how much had our boy been through because of this rejection?

"Ah, yeah," Alex said, unable to meet my eyes.  "I was a bit of an emotional mess what with the bonding ceremony and that and all I wanted to do was go home and hide in my room for a while.  But then I saw David in the crowd and he saw me.  I should have realised what was going on, but I let him take me away from the festivities and into the woods, which is where he rejected me.  It was so painful, my former heartache was nothing compared to it and I fell unconscious."  I could see that this was hurting him, to tell us this, but I needed to know what had happened.  There was a determination in his eyes, he wanted to share this with us.  I was torn between making him stop, so he wouldn't hurt anymore and pride that he was willing to continue.  Eric clearly felt the same and continued to try and soothe him through his touches.

"David... David didn't tell anyone," Alex whispered.  "He didn't even hint at the fact that I was lying there, alone in the woods.  The ceremony finished mid afternoon, but the festivities were planned to go on for quite sometime.  If it wasn't for the fact that the wolf pack also have a tradition of continuing the celebration as wolves once the sunset and moon was in the sky..." My wolf raged and howled, tearing about inside me, desperate now to hunt this bastard down.  Eric's tiger was no better, I could see the beast burning in my mate's eyes.  "I was under for just about a year.  After I woke up, there were several things wrong with me."  He fidgeted within Eric's grasp.  Eric was being so careful not to harm him as the rage effected us, but wasn't about to let him go either. 

"Your sense of taste being one?" I asked.  He nodded.  "Can you tell us what else?"

"Don't reject me!" He blurted out suddenly, his eyes becoming slightly glassy with tears.  "Promise me!  I know I am defective but...!"

"Sweetheart," Eric murmured into his hair, his tiger scent marking our boy.  "Haven't you figured out that you are stuck with us yet?"  Alex let out a broken sob and gripped hold of his shirt, his tears beginning to fall freely.  My wolf urged me forward and I found myself wrapping my arms about both my mates.  Alex cried for a while, his tears soaking into Eric's clothing, before the sobs gave way to soft sniffling and quiet little hiccups.  I pulled away realising that he had fallen asleep, exhausted by his outburst. 

"He's asleep," Eric pointed out the obvious as he looked down with soft eyes.  His heart has always been on his sleeve; quick to anger, quick to laugh and even quicker at falling in love.  I couldn't blame him though, for falling so soon for our mate.  It's not like I wasn't following suit.

"You are amazing, you know that?" I told him as he lifted Alex princess style into his arms. 

"I know, you should praise me more often," Eric grinned.  "But what's the occasion?"  He made his way to the stairs, carefully adjusting Alex' long frame to protect him from hitting the walls as he carried him.

"You got him to open up to you," I replied.  "Whereas I have been struggling for weeks."

"But I think it's due to you being gentle with him that gave him the time he needed to adjust to the idea of having a mate again," Eric pointed out.  "I think if I had met him first, he would have run for the airport and emigrated!"  I laugh softly, unable to keep in my mirth at his self-depreciation.  "So you are amazing too."

He placed Alex upon the centre of our bed and kissed his forehead before wrapping his arms about my neck.  I looked one arm about his waist as I look down on our sleeping mate.  "He's amazing," I whisper.  So amazingly brave, so amazingly strong.

"Yeah, he is."