Day 13: Watching Each Other Sleep

Start from the beginning

"Just imagine it like this," Tori began. "Geno needs rest in order to recover. Let him sleep and he'll wake up when he's ready." She's been telling this to Death almost every day, trying to lighten up his mood.

It always seem to do the trick as Death sniffled and nodded weakly. She smiled and put down her clipboard and pen on the bed before proceeding with Geno's daily check up.

Death let Tori do her work, but didn't move from his spot beside Geno. As the goat lady checks the smaller skeleton's vital signs, Death felt the hand that he was holding moved ever so slightly.

The taller skeleton's 'heart' nearly stopped. His gaze snapped to Geno's face, watching closely for any sign of movement.

But there was none.

He looked down at hand that he was holding, disappointed, maybe his mind was playing tricks with him again. He was proven wrong as he witnessed one finger twitched slightly.

Death's soul leaped to his throat as his eyes widened and hope skyrocketing. "He's waking up!" He declared as he quickly stood up and held the hand tighter.

Tori was startled but nonetheless grabbed her pen and clipboard, ready to take some notes. They both waited in tense silence with suspense for the smaller skeleton to wake up.

For a moment, there was no movement and Death was growing achingly impatient as his grip on Geno's hand tightens even more.

Geno's eyelid twitched and Death unconsciously held his breath in great anticipation. But he was just taking too long!

"Come on, Geno. You can do it." Death whispered encouragingly as he brought Geno's hand closer to his face and pressed it against his lips.

For what felt like an eternity, Geno finally managed to pry his eye open. He was immediately greeted by a sharp throbbing pain in his forehead and his free hand sluggishly moved up to nurse it, but Death was quick to grab it before he could even touch the bandages.

Death was trembling in pure joy and overwhelming relief. Fresh new tears streaming down his face.

"Hi there, can you hear me?" Life immediately began the assessment questionnaire. "What's your name?" She asked gently but loud enough while readily holding her pen over the clipboard.

Geno's unfocused eye shifted towards her, although he didn't say anything. It was obvious that he was having a hard time trying to comprehend the simple question and it made Death anxious of the possible side effects.

"Can you hear me?" Life asked again, a little louder this time, and took some notes down.

Still no answer. Death was growing worried with each passing second without any form of reaction from the smaller skeleton.

"Can you tell me your name?" She proceeded and Death looked up at her and saw her frowning. Not a good sign.

"...my... name?" Geno finally spoke and Death snapped his attention back to him with wide, genuine smile. Overjoyed to finally hear a response. Oh how Death missed his voice!

"Yes, sweetie. Your name." Tori confirmed.

It took Geno way too long than he was supposed to be before he managed to reply. "It's Geno." He said slowly with a hint of hesitance in his tone.

She nodded as she jotted down her notes. "Alright, Geno. Can you tell me what happened? What's the last thing you remember?"

Silence.

Long silence as Geno struggled to recall anything recently but his mind refuses to cooperate. The deeper he goes to his memory, the more the pain grew intense.