2. Ceremonial Preparation

✨🌘✨

I was running through the woods. My heart pumping extra fast as adrenaline was running through my veins.

I couldn't let it catch me.

A ferocious growl echoed through the trees, pushing me to run faster. The branches were reaching out as if to try and grab me. I avoided them as best I could...

My bare feet were bloodied as twigs and sharp rocks dug into them. But I didn't care, the fear of what could happen if I stopped moving was enough for the pain to fade away.

Suddenly my bare foot hit something and I collapsed to the ground. I yelped as pain pulsated through my ankle. It was twisted.

I hissed in pain holding my ankle as if it would stop hurting if I did. I could no longer run. I would have to wait for my soon to be demise.

Another growl, only this time it was much louder. Closer.

Deep red eyes emerged from the darkness and its entire body soon followed. The wolf looked more frightening, more massive then I remembered.

"Please." I begged, "Don't Hurt me."

I remember thinking this is it before the beast lunged at me.

I bolt upright, a scream lodged in my throat as I remembered the vivid details of the dream- the nightmare. Sweat smothered my forehead, matting my hair to my face.

It had been a week since the incident with the wolfen. It's red eyes had plagued my dreams every night. I couldn't get them out of my head even when I was awake. I had no clue why.

The wound on my leg was now healed. My body was very quick at healing itself, the longest injury I had ever had was three months when I broke my arm, falling out of a tree.

All evidence that I had ever come in contact with the wolf was now gone. Except for the nightmares that reminded me.

Padding over to my window, I could see the sun beginning to rise from behind the clouds. Soon I would have to start getting ready for the preparation of the Wolves Ceremonial shift.

Me and my friend Tristan would be required to help set up. It was the one time in the entire year that matured wolves could shift for the first time with the power of the blue moon and we would be allowed to witness it. You had to be at least sixteen to attend and we were both seventeen so we fit the age requirement.

I was honestly excited. I was never allowed to the other celebrations but this time I had been chosen to attend. Even if it was just to set up and serve them.

Another reason I wanted to go was because deep down I wanted to see those red eyes again. There was a high chance that it would be there with the others of its kind.

I didn't know why I felt like this. Unrest and anxiety growing with every second I didn't get to see those hypnotising eyes. The only way I was going to find out was to see them again.

Finally dressed in a plain green dress and my dark curls tied up I left, making my way to the centre of town. Where the ceremonial garden was.

"Liv!" Tristan walked over to me when he saw me. I could see the excitement in his forest green eyes as he embraced me in a tight hug.

Me and Tristan had been good friends since we were little. I watched him grow from a scrawny, little boy with a toothy grin to a handsome, muscled man now standing in front of me.

He was wearing a basic blue tunic with white breeches. I took in my fill of him. His long blonde hair was in a tight pony tale, and his muscles poking out of his clothing.

I had always had feelings for Tristan since we were young but never acted on it. We were only friends, I didn't want to complicate things.

"So what do we have to do?"

Tristan just shrugged his shoulders. "I've been waiting for one of the Elders to come and give orders." He crossed his arms over his chest, annoyed that he had to wait. I chuckled at his misery.

The Elders were a high up human organisation who worked for the King. They were in charge of keeping peace between us and the them. They dealt with events and ensured everything ran smoothly.

They were the only humans considered important in the Wolven king's eyes.

Me and Tris had been waiting for ten minutes, when an older looking man appeared at the entrance. He was easily in his fourties and wore a black robe that reached the floor.

"Alivia Harmon? Tristan Sanrio?" The Elders voice was sharp and snappy as if he was trying to speed up the process.

Me and Tristan just nodded when our names were spoken and walked over to him, not daring to speak unless he asked us to.

" Mr Sanrio, you will be needed for setting up the Kings banners. Flowers are to be put on every single table, the Kings chair must be centred perfectly and coated with fur and I want this all done within three hours, am I clear?"

"Yes, sir" Tristan left me with the old man who stared at me, I didn't know if I was meant to say anything as his eyes scanned my body.

"Hmm, you don't look very strong..."

I already disliked this man as he made quick judgements of me. Underestimating my abilities.

"...Can you cook?"

"I err..." I had never really needed to cook before. My aunt always prepared meals with the help of my cousins. I never really had to bother or even try.

"Come on girl, speak up."

"No sir." I whispered. I felt useless, I didn't really have a lot of skills that I was aware of right then.

"I take it you can at least serve, am I right?" I nodded. "Very well you'll be serving the Wolves their drinks tomorrow night but for now you may help, Mr Sanrio."

Before he left the Elder had told me a set of rules I was to abide by.

Don't look any of the wolves in the eye, especially the King.

Don't speak unless spoken to.

And the most important,

Obey any order given from a Wolfen.

✨🌕✨

Again please offer some feedback and pleaseee vote.