Maiden's Peak Revisited

Thoughts Adrift

"I'm not happy," said Misty.

"Azu..."

"Then – like – find some happiness," replied Violet.

Misty glared. "And how am I supposed to do that presently?"

"Azurill, rill rill!"

"I don't know," her sister grumbled.

"Then why did you suggest that I cheer up if you have no solution...?"

"I-I..." stuttered Violet, unsure how to react. "I figured that, like, you could do that on your own! Jeez, why'd you have to go and pin it on me?! Stop being such a kill joy!" And she walked away. Misty sighed and looked around sadly, despite the happy atmosphere and all of the guests walking around in their rented kimonos – fourteen year old Misty Waterflower couldn't find it within herself to be cheerful.

She was in attendance to the Maiden's Peak Festival with Violet, along with Casey and Tracey. Daisy was in attendance too, but...she seemed to be using the event to get closer to a certain Pokémon Watcher rather than sticking to family, something Misty had picked up on after a while since she had become Gym Leader just a few months prior.

Despite it all however, even with Azurill in her arms, she still felt lonely. Something felt as if it was missing, or rather it was someone who was missing. Misty sighed, and wandered about, hoping to run into someone she knew, maybe that was it, it had been over an hour since they arrived, but she had spent most of it with the grumbling – and somewhat cold and distant – Violet, who didn't even pay her younger sister much attention aside from criticizing her attitude.

At last after getting herself a candied apple, she ran into Casey and her Meganium. "Oh, hey Misty!" said the other girl, waving at her with her cotton candy.

"Hey," said Misty half-heartedly. Casey raised an eyebrow.

"Okay, somethings up, I can tell."

Misty just let out a breath that indicated that something was up. "You're good at reading people, Casey," she said before leaning via her front on a railing that overlooked the ocean. "I guess I do have something stirring in my head..."

"Is it something to do with the Gym?"

"No."

"Big sister problems?"

"I wish..."

"Okay then...then what is the problem?" There was a long silence.

Casey observed Misty for a moment, carefully taking in the other girl's demeanor, but for the life of her and all of her bets she had made on the Electabuzz winning their matches, she couldn't figure out the Gym Leader's problem.

"I miss Ash..." whispered Misty after what seemed like ages to her.

Casey blinked, taken aback, her eyes widened. "Oh..." she began, and thought back to when that Georgio person had tried to ask Misty out. She wanted to ask her if that was him she was referring to back then, but held back. "You wish you didn't have to leave him, do you?"

"Yeah...I..." Misty paused to gather her thoughts – she looked up at the stars and gave a sad smile. Casey felt bad for her; she could see the pain in Misty's eyes that could only come from unexpected separation from someone who was important to them. "...didn't want to leave him, not at all."

"You enjoyed being with him for the sake of being with him...?"

"Indeed..." said Misty sadly, she took a bite from her apple and chewed slowly. "It's not the same without him at all. I...I miss living right beside him, hearing him talk to me, us arguing, traveling everyday as if there was all the time in the world..." Misty sighed, not quite sure if she should've revealed so much about what she was feeling so openly. "Sorry," she said, "I'm rambling."