Chapter 23

"This is wrong Dean, and you know it." Sam said as they drove to see the other hunters. He had called them this morning to see where they were.

Dean drove in the direction that Garth had told him the other hunters were staying. They were a husband and wife team, posing as honeymooners. Caroline had turned her old house into a nice bed and breakfast, and they just happen to be staying there.

Dean gripped his steering wheel tightly, knowing what he was doing was wrong, but he was convincing himself it was for the best. For Elena.

"Don't you think I know that Sam? But I think if anyone should kill him, it should be us. I've met Stefan and Caroline. They don't seem bad, and they aren't like the other vampires we have hunted. We just need to get these hunters out of town. They are only after Damon right now. Let's just get them gone for now. Ok?"

"I hope you know what you're doing Dean."

"Ya. You and me both."

Dean pulled up in the driveway. He had called them first, so they knew they were coming.

They came out to greet them, like close friends happy to see them. Putting on a good show for the neighbors. Incase any more were around.

"Sam! Dean! It's so good to see you! Won't you come in?"

"It's good to see you too." Sam said back, but he didn't remember her name. They had never actually met. Just heard of eachother. Walking inside, Sam and Dean went to the couch to sit down.

"Sam, Dean, what brings you to this town."

"Actually, we were following the trail of a vampire, and he had brought us here."

Dean rubbed his hands together and sat back on the couch.

"He got you here too, huh. Any leads?"

"Yes, actually... we already took him out."

"What! He was our hunt Dean!"

"Well, we didn't know you were even here til after and we called Garth. He had said you guys were here for the same thing. So, we just figured we'd let you know so you don't waste any time. We took care of it. And searched the town for the past few days. There aren't anymore. Right Sam?"

"Yup. We got him."

"Can we see him?"

"If we hadn't burned the body I'd take you right to it. But we burn the bodies of these. Just in case."

"Well, I guess the case is closed honey. Might as well get to the next case. This was a waste. Thanks to the Winchesters. Again."

Sam and Dean smiled, apologetically. It was their job. But he felt guilty for lying to them. They should be killing Damon. Not trying to save him.

"The next case we get we'll give you a heads up if you want it. Ok? We may be taking a break for a while."

Sam shot Dean a quick glance.

"No thanks. We don't need any pity hunts. We can do this fine on our own."

Sam and Dean stood up and walked over to the door. Watching her go get her bags, so they could leave too.

"Well, regardless... it was nice to meet you guys."