0

june 27th, 2038.
(l/n) residence.
humidity with a chance of rain.
11:34 p.m.
---

The air is thick and disgusting to (y/n), he has his close friend and personal android fetching soup and cold medicine. He has recently caught whatever his sister had when visiting her in Canada. He dials Care's number to check on her, "Have you gotten everything?"

"Yes, (y/n). I am approaching your driveway as we speak," she replies.

"Thank God, my throat is burning." he hangs up and reaches for a bottle of ibuprofen. "Ugh, my legs," he groans and places three pills on the back of his tongue. He takes a few sips from his water bottle and in walks Care.

"Didn't you say 'I can take care of myself, I'll go to the store.'" Care attempts to smirk.

"Hey-" he coughs, "-I felt fine earlier." he defends himself.

"Anyway," she rolls her eyes and sets down the medicine bottles. "I have your medicine." she smiles.

"Ugh," he groans, "what flavor?" 

"Well, there's grape,"

"Grape are you kidding me?" (y/n) sits up and eyes the bottle.

"The last bottle in stock," she shrugs. He takes a deep breath and shrugs.

"Alright, spoon it up,"

Care chuckles, "Gladly."

After shoveling spoonfuls of medicine and soup into (y/n)'s mouth, Care decides to take care of the next day's chores as a sort of sorry to (y/n). She felt terrible that he couldn't do anything himself when he was such an independent person. She washes and folds (y/n)'s clothes, cleans the dishes, and activates the small vacuum device. "Shit," she curses to herself, something she learned from (y/n), the house was out of both dish and laundry soap. How could I forget something so simple?

Care decides while she was finishing chores, she might as well stock up on supplies for (y/n)'s home. The area wasn't too bad and the streets were well lit, plus the likelihood of an android getting mugged was about obsolete. She grabbed the brand new, cherry red jacket he had bought her days ago. She smiles at the thought and heads out to the nearest 24/7 convenient store.

Leaving the store, her hands full, Care spots, someone, in a dark hoodie seemingly following her. She ignores this as she turns down a street and sees nothing. Care reaches (y/n)'s home and quickly locks the front doors. While in the middle of putting the supplies away the lights turn off and Care waits a minute for the generator to kick in but it doesn't. "Care, what's going on?" (y/n) attempts to shout but the shout comes out as a scratchy screech.

"I'll check it out!" Care shouts back.

"Be care-" he coughs and spits out some phlegm, "be careful!" his voice booms after clearing his throat.

Care with a flashlight in hand inspects the generator in the garden.

---

(y/n) looks over at the clock 12:56 a.m. He sighs and closes his eyes. Suddenly he hears a thud and he jolts up. "Care?"

"(y- (y/n) help!" she shouts. He throws his covers aside and runs down the hall and trips down the stairs. 

"I'm coming, Care!" he picks himself up and dashes toward the garden. Care lets out a yelp and whine. "Hey!" (y/n) yells and points at the dark figure as they runoff.

He immediately takes off after the assailant and follows them for a good four blocks. The assailant runs across the road and he follows closely nearly getting hit by a car, only avoiding being hit by jumping onto the car hood. He tumbles over and continues chasing the dark figure. "Get back here, you filthy fucker!" he screams, and his voice cracks, making (y/n) angrier. Suddenly feeling a rush of energy go through his body, he charges after the person even faster. The person climbs over a fence and (y/n) attempts to follow but gets his ankle caught and falls. He hangs on the fence for about thirty seconds then lands harshly on his left knee and right leg. "Agh, fuck." he tries to pull himself up using the fence. "Get back here, asshole!" he screams, and tears start falling down his cheeks. He tries to run but only falls onto his knees.

He falls to the ground one last time with tears covering his face and neck. He pulls himself up and limps, holding the brick wall to guide him. "Help," he calls out with his scratchy, hoarse voice. "There's a-" he gets cut off by a man in a leather jacket.

"What happened?" the man's scary, un-welcoming eyes scan over him. "Holy fuck, I'll call an ambulance." he pulls out his phone.

"Wait!" (y/n) nearly smacks the phone out of the man's hands. "I- I need you to bring me home." he grabs the man's wrist and looks pleadingly into his eyes. The man very hesitantly agrees and drives him home. "You don't know how much this means to me," he climbs out of the car and leans on it. "Thank you."

(y/n) winces while limping toward his home. "Care?" he trips over the threshold and crawls toward the garden. "Care!" he shouts seeing her body laying on the grass, thirium pooling around Care's chest. "Care, are you there?" he shakes her gently. "Care!" her eyes slightly open.

"(y/n)? What's happening? Am I-" she chokes and coughs up some thirium. "Am I dying?" a tear rolls down her cheek.

"No, no!" he coughs and places her head on his lap. "You can't die, you're not dying!" He tries his best to ignore the extreme pain rushing through both of his legs. Care was the most significant thing at this moment and he couldn't let his pain distract him.

"Hey (n/n)," she lifts her arm and grabs (y/n)'s open hand. "I can't die if I'm not alive, right?" she chuckles and sputters up thirium. Tears from (y/n) fall onto Care's face. "Don't be sad, (n/n)." she squeezes his hand. "Your hands are so.." she closes her eyes and slowly opens them once again. "So warm." a smile starts to spread upon her lips but she shuts down halfway.

"Care?" he whispers. "Care, are you-" he examines her face and drags his fingers across her eyes. "Goodnight, Care." he starts crying and coughing uncontrollably with Care in his arms.