•Chapter Thirty Two•

Start bij het begin

"WHAT? Why? What happened?" I rattled off questions. Ameer just shrugged his shoulders. He was still crying.

"We were at his house painting and stuff and the cops came banging on the door. Then they took him."

"They took me too and then Shawn picked me up from the station." I was taken aback a bit, he never referred to Shawn by his name. Also, something about his story wasn't making sense to me, but atleast that explained why he was at home. Had they been following the every other day schedule he should've been with Lance. After getting him to calm down I asked him to give the phone back to Shawn, which he did.

"Shawn!"

"Yes Mia?" He was way too calm for my liking.

"You know Lance got locked up?"

"Yeah." He said keeping it short which only irked me even more.

"So why didn't you say something? Talking about Ameer sleeping and you know something's up with him. You know I don't play about my son Shawn!" I semi-yelled. This caused him to suck his teeth.

"You acting like it's my fault you have a child by a troublemaker." At that point I hung up before I said something I'd regret. I decided to call Kemona and find out what really happened with Lance.

Now sitting at the edge of the bed, my leg bounced uncontrollably waiting for Kemona to pick up. I was about to hang up when she answered on the final ring.

"Hey Kemona."

"A'mia." She said dryly which confused me. Our friendship was a little rocky once I found out she knew her brother was alive but we were still fairly cool.

"Wassup with Lance? Why was he arrested?"

She released a humorless laugh. "Why you acting like you don't know?" Confused was no longer an appropriate word to describe how I was feeling at the moment.

"I honestly don't, that's why I called you."

"Your husband had him arrested for kidnapping Ameer." She stated flatly.

"WHAT? That doesn't even make sense."

"Well sis, obviously it made enough sense for the police to go get him." She said, then abruptly hung up the phone.

Pinching the bridge of my nose I inhaled and exhaled deeply. It felt like my blood pressure had skyrocketed in such a short period. Stripping out of my work attire, I made my to the bathroom and took a long, warm shower to calm my nerves. I couldn't fathom what would possess Shawn to have Lance arrested, especially for kidnapping Ameer. A blind man could see that Lance loved our son more than anything. I was grateful that I'd be checking out early tomorrow to head back home. I needed to get to the bottom of this mess.

****************

I got back into town around 10:00a.m. Rather than heading home I went straight to the county jail to find out what the hell happened and to clear Lance's name. It took multiple calls to Kemona before I was able to find out the exact jail that they were keeping him. After what felt like hours of answering questions and a trip back home to collect Ameer's birth certificate to prove that Lance was indeed his father, I was able to convince the hardheaded cops that he wouldn't kidnap his son.

Fortunately, the charge against him was dropped. However, even after speaking with the police I was unaware of what really went down leading up to his arrest. I waited around for almost fifteen minutes thinking that he'd be released but once there was no sign of him I questioned his whereabouts. I was informed that he was being held on another charge that I couldn't get him exonerated of. I felt my blood pressure rise again. What the hell did he get himself into now?

"Lance, what really happened?" I questioned once we were seated across from each other in the visitors area.

"Your punkass husband had my arrested, that's what happened."

"No need to be disrespectful. Why'd he do that?" I inquired, which caused Lance to release a boisterous laugh, although the look on his face told me he found nothing funny.

"He childish that's why. Ameer didn't wanna go with him on Thursday so I told him that he should just let Ameer stay with me. He was annoyed but seemed aight with it. Either way I didn't really give a damn. Me and Ameer chilling in the evening, only to have 5-0 banging on my door like I did somn heinous."

"Next I know they hauling me off in cuffs talkin bout I'm arrested for kidnapping." He continued, he was visibly heated. I sighed. This drama was unnecessary.

"Why didn't you call me first?" I asked, causing him to cock his head to the side and look at me like I grew a second head.

"I gotta ask you permission to spend more time with my son now? You and ya husband smoking the same dope. Now I think about it, you sure you wasnt in on this shit too? I been out for months now. You claim we cool and all that but I still only get to see Ameer on Saturdays." He stated accusingly.

"Seriously Lance? You sound stupid. Why would I have you arrested knowing that it'll affect Ameer? I swear you haven't recovered from that head trauma."

"Whatever man. Anything else?" He asked obviously over our conversation.

"I got you cleared of the kidnapping charge. Why you still in here?"

"The police was on some bullshit and charge me with assault of an officer." He stated, avoiding my gaze.

"They wouldn't just charge you for no reason Lance."

"Man, I wasn't about to let them arrest me for somn I didn't do. I wasn't cooperating at first and my elbow accidentally hit on the police in the stomach and they slapped the charge on me." He stated, regret laced his voice.

I sighed heavily,"Lance you know better than that. Why you always have to get yourself into trouble?"

"Bitc... Mia, you bout to make me mad as hell. I wouldn't be placed in this situation if your husband didn't just leave me and my son alone." His fists were balled as he stared at me angrily.

"You know somn, I swear every time somn bad happened to me is because I associated with you. You'd think if I ever I got arrested it would've been for selling dope."

"I know you not blaming me because you can't control your temper!" I glared at him. This nigga lost his mind.

He chuckled,"Goodbye Mia. I'm done with you freal this time. If it ain't about Ameer then you nonexistent to me." He flipped me the bird for emphasis. I looked at him in disbelief.

"Bye Lance. I swear you make me sick sometimes with your attitude." I said, mumbling the last part as I got up to leave. He must've heard me though.

"The feeling is mutual boo and don't be bringing Ameer to visit me either. I don't need him seeing me like this." He said.

Once I got back to my car, I reclined in my seat trying to regain my composure. I swear no one else pissed off the same way as Lance. How did we go from loving each other to severing all ties in such a short period of time? For Ameer's sake I hope he wasn't convicted. He had only been gone for two days and already Ameer was taking it hard. Pulling myself together I started my car, Lila Ike's Second Chance blared through the speakers as I tried not to think about what had just transpired. I needed as much mental strength as possible. Shawn was about to get a piece of my mind.

*****************

Greetings lovely people 👋🏾👋🏾. Bear with me, the story still has a good way too go😭but I think ya'll might like it.

Love n Respect
-Z.A.❤