Chapter 5

There was blood everywhere. There was no way someone could survive a wound like that unless they got immediate medical attention. I desperately tried to stop the bleeding by adding pressure to the wound. Tears blurred my vision as I tried to frantically to stop time around Jack.
"Well this is unfortunate," he grunted, trying to keep things positive. "I think I may be allergic to glass."
"You're going to be fine," I said.
"No I won't," Jack replied, his expression turning deadly serious. "I've watched enough action movies to know no one survives this kind of stuff."
"You can't leave me," I cried, hugging him.
"I love you," he said softly into my ear."
I could see the life draining from his once happy brown eyes. Now they were filled with pain and terror. I desperately tried to stop time but my power refused to cooperate. I added more pressure to the wound, making sure not to take the glass out. Jack's eyes started to droop.
"No no no," I sobbed. "You can't leave me. Please don't leave me," I cried. I watched as the last of the life in Jack's eyes left and his body went still. I hugged his body closer to mine desperately trying to believe Jack hadn't just died. My chest felt like it was caving in on itself. Jack had been my best friend. My only friend and I had failed him I had tried and tried to stop time but when I needed it most my power had failed me.