Chapter 6- It's okay to cry

I woke up rather early the next morning. The church lay cold and quiet. Before I heard Johnny getting up too.

"Where are you goin'?" I whispered, so I didn't wake the sleeping Ponyboy. My voice groggy and not awake.

"I'm going to the store. Would you like to tag along Kerri? I wouldn't mind the company." He whispered back. He soon got up. I followed, and ran my fingers through my dirty blonde hair, then faced him.

"Sure." I replied. Johnny then took the money that Dally gave us, and stuffed it into his pockets.

"If Pony wakes up and we're not here, he's gonna freak out." Johnny said worryingly, stuffing his hands deep into his pockets. I can't believe he still has them. So I pulled him into a hug. I don't know why, it just looked as if he needed one. Plus he had a lot on his mind. He hugged back.

"We can write him a note in the sand." I said pulling away. Johnny nodded in agreement, I wrote the note, and we left.

It was very early, and very cold. So we went to the nearest store, praying that the story hasn't made way yet. Johnny pointed out a store, and we walked inside.

The warm air hit my face like a ton of bricks.  Relieving the painful coldness that it had felt a minute before.

"Let's split up. It'll go twice as fast that way." I suggested. He agreed and went to look for entertainment while I looked for food. I grabbed a weeks supply of baloney, a loaf of bread, and too many chocolate bars to count. Johnny and I met back up at the cash register, he held things that I couldn't really make out. Anyway, we then paid, and left.

It was light outside by now. The air still nipped away at my nose. But we eventually made it back to the church, and went inside. We put the stuff down, giving me the opportunity to get a closer look at what Johnny grabbed. He grabbed a book called, "Gone with the wind." And... peroxide.

Pony walked up from behind us. Sleep still lingering through his eyes. But he then saw what we had left for. His eyes focused on the same thing mine was. The peroxide.

"Johnny. Your not thinking." I said worryingly.

"We're going to use this on you and Pony's hair. They'll have our pictures in the paper. We can't fit em." Johnny pleaded.

"But my hairs already blonde, and it's already short." I whimpered. Johnnys eyes just got bigger.

"Kerri, we can make it shorter. And it'll turn another shade of blonde. A much lighter shade. Please." He pleaded again. I gave in. His big brown eyes. They were looking at me in a way that I couldn't say no. Johnny changed something in me that's hard to explain.

Johnny pulled out his switch and walked over to Pony. He'd eventually given in as well. Next thing I knew Pony and I's hair had been cut and bleached. I absolutely hated it. Hate cant even describe it.

"I look lousy." I whined, stomping my foot into the ground.

"Sure makes us look tough." Pony sighed, pulling out a cig, pressing it against his lips.

"Give me one?" I asked pony.

"You never smoke Kerri." Pony said astonishingly handing me the cancer stick. And it's true. I never smoke... unless I wanted to look tough as I've said. But I'm kinda craving it. Probably because of my mood.

"Yeah yeah." I replied lighting the thing, and taking a long drag from it. Johnny watched in aw.

"You can stare all you want Johnnycakes," I giggled blowing the smoke out. "because that ain't gonna change what's in front of you." He looked away quickly, I could easily tell he was blushing hard. I smiled softly.