Wattpad Original
There are 2 more free parts

Chapter 3

Please note:- 'OF CROWS AND THORNS' is a saga that is shared in a rather unconventional manner. As you are aware the saga is set around Nelle and Tabitha's dilemma. Nelle and Tabitha own the bigger books in the saga, and the Crowther brothers own the smaller novels (as well as Miss Lila, whom we meet in CAGED and is my wild card). 

During the series we are going to bounce between Nelle and Tabitha's books - and every so often one of the Crowther brothers' novels will be slipped in between. Each book, no matter what timeline it occurs in and who the leads are, affects and builds on the greater storyline of Nelle and Tabitha.

There is a very good reason why RISING is Book 2 in the series, as, without it, you won't truly experience the story of CAGED. You'll be experiencing a very different book to what the rest of us are reading and I fear you'll miss out on the nuances at play and all the clues gathered from RISING that are to be applied in CAGED. So I would like to gently encourage you, if you haven't already, to read RISING before entering CAGED. Ava xoxo

***

When I was nineteen I was stolen and caged like a bird

Trapped inside a tower.

My twentieth birthday was soon approaching. The Witches Ball not long after.

The first threat loomed The Emporium and the Crowthers' desperate need for a Goods Appraisal.

I had little time left to find a way to escape the Keep, and him, Graysen Crowther — a man intrinsically bound to my soul.

But as I stood regally upon a dais, paraded in front of all the Houses as leverage against my father, a Horned God offered me salvation.

Of course, nothing is ever given away for free.

***

Present Time

Raw, unfettered hostility poured through my veins at Graysen's touch. I twisted my spine and shook free of his hand which had been spread across the lower part of my back. I stepped inside the room to which he'd guided me, my bare feet making little noise upon the cool stone floor.

Menacing shadows rippled along the walls and floor, striking out at the undulating light cast by candles in wrought-iron sconces and candelabras, spilling from a chandelier hanging above a long trestle table. Ferne sat in a high-backed chair. A Heriz rug with a bold, geometric pattern was nestled beneath the table. Graysen stepped flush with me where I'd slowly drawn to a halt.