Chapter Nine

Dinner was wrapping up as most people began to take their plates into the kitchen while others began to wrap up the leftover food. Jack and I were on our third plate of food and I was honestly surprised by the amount of food he was taking into his little body. He had eaten three hot dogs, most of the potato salad, half of my mashed potatoes along with his own helping of corn, peas and carrots. I was finishing up my fourth burger pattie after finishing off the rest of what he hadn't eaten. Conan, Brent and the beautiful brunette, from before were still at the table with us. I had learned, through listening to them talk that she was Jenna, Brent's mate and the packs Beta Female. Brent and Conan were picking at the food on their plates while Jenna held a mug of hot tea in between her hands, the steam rising above the rim before disappearing into the air.

"Are you full Buddy?" I asked Jack after my last bite of burger, he was sitting in my lap quietly, leaning back against me with his head on my shoulder.

He nodded while curling his body into me further, bring a smile to my lips. I could feel a familiar bond growing with him, my wolf and I both feeling love for the little pup in our lap. From the corner of my eye I see a short stumpy woman walking towards us. She looked to be in her mid forties, a grumpy unpleasant expression on her face. She stopped next to my chair. Jack looked up at her before he quickly tucked his face into the crook of my neck. My body became rigid as she scowled down at him.

'This bitch is about to get hurt.' My wolf snapped, I growled low in agreement.

"It's time for his bath, let me take him." Her voice was firm, almost as if she thought she could order me around.

Ha! Wrong bitch, even if I wasn't Conan's mate I wouldn't take orders from her. A warning growl rumbled in my chest as she reached towards Jack, causing everyone at the table to look at the three of us. My head snapped to the side, my eyes narrowing on her.

"Back off Bertha." I said through clenched teeth. Her eyes went wide before her face turned red with anger, hands on her hips.

"Excuse me! That boy is in my care, now give him to me." She snapped at me.

From the corner of my eye I could see Brent and Conan stand up from their seats. I could feel Jack start to shake slightly, a small almost inaudible whimper coming from him. His fear had my blood boiling. I shot up out of my chair, my arms pulling Jack from my chest only to slide him around behind me. His arms snake around my neck, his legs curling around my midsection as he was now on my back. I took a threatening step towards the woman, a snarl leaving my lips as my hands clenched into fists.

"I will not be handing him over to you! Not now, not ever. Why does this boy fear you?" A loud snarl came from me.

My anger fueling me to snap her neck and be done with this. I could practically smell the fear coming off Jack as he clung to me like a lifeline. The dumb broad growled at me before trying to sidestep me, reaching for Jack. I acted instantly, twisting my body to keep him away from her as my right fist swinging wide, throwing all my power and body weight into the punch. A loud satisfying crack and pop sounded through the room as my fist connected with the side of her jaw. Her body flew through the air before landing on the ground three feet away. I started to move towards her, still not fully satisfied with only a broken jaw but Conan and Brent acted just as fast. Brent raced to the old bitch, grabbing her arms and pulling her towards the doorway of the dining room. My path was blocked as Conan stood before me, his large rough hands grabbing my biceps. His touch sent shock waves through me, sparks racing through my veins. The anger I had, dimmed slightly causing my canines and claws to retract, I hadn't even noticed them come out. Taking deep calming breaths I watched as Brent lead the woman out of the room before looking up at Conan.