Chapter Eight

Feeling refreshed and recharged from the long hot shower gave me a new sense of determination. I am Nikita and no man, even if he is my mate, is going to break me down. With a small smile on my lips I made my way down the few sets of stairs. As I came to the last staircase I took in the scene before me, trying like hell to hold in my laughter. There was quite a big group gathered around the base of the stairs, all watching as the guy from earlier, Brent. He and a beautiful brunette were bickering back and forth as they worked over the small body of a young pup. His large mop of dirty blond hair sticking up all over the place. His chubby little cheeks, red with either embarrassment or pain, I couldn't tell which. Others watched on, snickering as Brent turned the boys head slightly. He then began to pull on his shoulders gently as the women pushed against the top of his head, desperately trying to free his head from in between two dowels on the staircases banister. How the boy got his head in there to begin with was a mystery to me. The spaces between the small poles were at best six to eight inches apart.

Slowly I made my way closer to them, careful not to cause more stress to the pup as he began to whimper. I knew this had to be extremely unpleasant and most likely painful for the poor boy. Brent gave up on pulling with a heavy sigh, his brows furrowed as he tried to think of a new tactic to get the boy free. The women looked worried as she taps her chin with her finger, clearly thinking just as hard as him. If it weren't for the painful whimpers coming from the boy I would have busted a gut laughing at them.

"I don't know what else to do other than break the damn things." Brent said as he tugged on one of the poles slightly.

The brunette quickly slapped his hand away as the pup began crying. Squinting my eyes as I looked closer I could see red angry marks on the boys neck, how the hell did he get his head through if it was that tight on his neck? Biting my lip as I thought, I took another step down the stairs, now only two steps above them. This action caught the attention of everyone because I suddenly found thirteen sets of eyes looking at me. I swallowed the small lump in my throat that formed from the sudden attention but kept my face free of any expression other than worry. The boys was was growing redder by the second and I was starting to seriously worry about his airway. The skin around his neck was starting to swell and I knew that if he wasn't released soon, he would have difficulty breathing as his airway tightened. Brent and the lady were bickering again as they couldn't agree on what to do. Brent gave a frustrated growl while she snorted at him. I came to the conclusion that they must be mates by the way they acted with one another. Another whimper came from the boy, but this one caused even myself to panic. It was so soft I doubt even the rest of them heard it over the two air headed adults next to him. The only reason I even heard it was because I had taken the last to steps and squatted down next to him, my left hand rubbing calming circles on his back.

I responded instantly to his painful whine, my body taking over before I even thought my actions through. I grabbed a hold of the two poles holding the body hostage and yanked. In one swift motion the dowels broke free from the railing, the wood between my hands crushed beneath the amount of pressure I put on them. I quickly released them, throwing them down to the floor below. I instantly wrapped my arms around the boys body before he had a chance to slump forward. His breathing was rough, tears fell from his eyes and quite honestly the image broke my heart. He looked so scared, a look I had seen many times and one that I never wished to see again.

"It's okay. You're okay." I said softly as I brushed the long strands of hair away from his face.

I sat down on the step, placing him in my lap. He turned in my arms, burying his face into the crook of my neck as his little arms wrapped around my neck. His form shaking from fear, the sound of his sobs made my heart hurt. I closed my eyes as my own tears began to build. I wrapped one arm around his small body tightly, the other reaching up to cradle his head against me as I began to slowly rock side to side. I remember my mother use to do this for me when I was scared or hurt and it always seemed to make everything better. After a few moments his sobs turned into soft sniffles, his tears slowing down. He was no longer shaking but his death grip around my neck didn't loosen at all, which honestly I didn't mind that he was basically choking me with how tight he was squeezing me. I opened my eyes now that I was sure no tears would spill. Once I did I was met with fourteen sets of eyes on me now. I was so wrapped up in helping the boy I hadn't even felt the presence of my mate when he joined the group at the stairs. He stood there, one foot on the last step as if he would climb up them any second. His face was a unreadable mask, but if you looked close enough you could see the concern behind his eyes. His left hand was gripping the railing roughly, turning his knuckles white and I was honestly surprised the wood hadn't splintered beneath his hand. Brent was standing on the step below me, shock clear on his face but also a look of astonishment as well which only confused me. It's not like I was holding up a burning building or something.