ten

Only seconds after the door had shut, crashing and sobbing was heard by everyone. They then altogether concluded with one single look that Maya was feeling overwhelmed and trashing her room.

The Matthews' family left and went back to their own apartment, Auggie was sleeping over at Ava's, down to them not knowing how long they would be at Maya's. "Mom how do I help her?" Riley looked at her mother with tears in her eyes. "Be there for her, but don't push her, she needs time." Riley lowered her eyes to the floor. "I love her, she's my best friend, why is she going through this? It isn't fair!" "I know sweetie." Her mother sighed.

"Where's the lesson in this one Dad?" Riley turned to her father. "It's an awful lesson Riley, life isn't fair, you said it yourself. Bad things happen." Riley sighed and shook her head. "I wonder how she is, should I check on her? Should I text her?" "Riley. Time." Riley stared ahead of her before she stood up.

"I'm going to bed. Wake me up if you hear anything to do with Maya." "It's been a long day, you do need your sleep-" Topanga started. "We will." Cory promised, interrupting his wife. "Thanks Daddy." "Goodnight." "Goodnight." Riley kissed both of their cheeks before she went to her bedroom, changing into her pyjamas and climbing into bed.

She checked her phone, hoping to see a text or a call from her best friend, but there was nothing. Maybe her Mom was right, and Maya just needed time, she usually was right. It was strange though, since Maya and Riley were rarely apart. "Time. She needs time." Riley repeated to herself before turning over so she couldn't see her phone on the bedside table taunting her and going to sleep.

Maya on the other hand was picking up everything off the floor after she trashed her room. She knew she would have to tidy all the things she knocked over, but at the time she didn't care about anything.

She picked up a photo frame and saw a crack in the glass. It held a photo of her and Riley, one of her favourite pictures of them. It was old, from when they were kids. She took the picture out of the broken glass carefully and held it between her fingers delicately, like it was the mona lisa.

Her parents were in bed, and she could hear her mother crying. She knew, she wasn't stupid. Maya blamed herself for her mother's distress. She did when her father left them and did now. She could hear her adoptive father comforting his wife and Maya couldn't take listening anymore. She put the picture down and opened her window to climb out the fire escape to go to Riley's apartment and stay with her.

She needed to be away from the cries of her mother, with every sob she heard, Maya felt more guilt. Even though it wasn't her fault. She climbed up and knocked on Riley's window. It was closed since it was the middle of the night.

Riley was a heavy sleeper so she had to knock for a little while before the brunette sleepily opened her eyes. Riley saw blonde hair and opened her eyes wider. Maya was outside! Riley got out of bed and opened the window for her best friend to enter her bedroom. "Hey, can I crash here tonight?" "Yeah, sure. What made you come in the middle of the night?" "I-" "Not that you have to leave!" Riley hurried out.

"I heard my Mom crying, I just can't be at home right now." Maya whispered. "Come to bed peaches, you need to get some sleep." "Thanks Riles."

In the morning, it was kind of a shock to Riley that Maya was awake. "Maya, did you sleep at all?" Maya looked over at her friend. "No." "Are you gonna come have breakfast?" "I'm not hungry, I think I'll just go home now. Thank you for letting me stay, I really appreciate it." Riley frowned. "Maya listen," "It's okay, I'll see you later Riles." Maya kissed her cheek and before Riley could say anything else, Maya had climbed out of the window.

Riley sighed and headed to breakfast with her parents and Auggie. "Morning Riley, did I just hear Maya?" Her mother asked as she entered the room. "Yeah she crashed here last night but she just left to go home." "I'll tell Shawn to let her stay off school for the rest of the week. I know Lucas is suspended but-" "She needs time, I know." Riley huffed as she sat at the table next to her little brother, pulling him onto her lap.

"Hey munchkin, how are you this morning?" Auggie laughed. "Fine." "You guys want oatmeal or toast?" Topanga asked. Riley opted for oatmeal, while Auggie chose toast. "Oatmeal is gross." He scrunched his nose up in disgust and moved off of his sister's lap to eat his food properly at the table like he was taught to. "Good boy, now Riley go get ready for school."

"I should tell Maya she doesn't have to-" "I'll take care of it, go get ready for school, try and keep your mind off Maya for a while." Cory advised. "You have other responsibilities. Speaking of which, did you do your homework last night?" Riley groaned. "Damn it, I'm sorry Daddy." "Do it before school, come on, time's a wastin'." Cory joked. Topanga laughed and pecked the man's lips. "I'm married to an idiot." "Hey!" "A lovely idiot." "I'll take it." Cory shrugged.