Sugar High

Alfred had been gone for a days visiting family. While Bruce had been doing his best to keep Dick entertained, it had worked out pretty well so far. They watched a few movies, went to the park, played some games it had been going okay.

That is, until today. Today Dick wanted cookies, and not just any cookies, no he wanted Bruce to make cookies.

At first Bruce had been inclined to say no but with the puppy dog eyes Dick was giving him, he agreed. He grabbed the ingredients and equipment and set them out on the table, he was a little worried about how they would turn out. He had never been good at baking or cooking for that matter. He got to work anyway and started making the dough.

Dick sat on the couch getting bored of watching The Goofy Movie he had already seen it three times in the last week. He sat there for a few seconds longer before getting up and walking over to Bruce.

"Can I help?"

Bruce looked shocked for a second, before he cleared his throat. "If you want." He said, which he would severely regret later. "All we need to add is the eggs and the sugar. I'll get the eggs." There was his biggest mistake, because as soon as he turned around to get the eggs Dick grabbed the small plastic cup, filled it with sugar and dumped it into the mixing bowl. Bruce then came back with the eggs and set them on the table. He filled the 1/3 measuring cup with sugar and handed it to Dick who eagerly dumped it out into the bowl.

It took a few more minutes but finally they put the cookies into the oven. The young boy looked at Bruce before giggling a little and running off to finish the movie. Bruce sat on the other side of the couch, waiting for the cookies.
Ten minutes later, freshly baked chocolate chip cookies were sitting on a plate on the table.

"Uh help yourself, I guess"

______________________________________
7:16 PM

"Richard, please get down from there!" Bruce called tiredly looking towards the staircase where the young boy was currently doing a handstand at the top of the banister.

"But it's fun!!" The small acrobat whined as he jumped back to his feet.

"Well, it's not fun for me."

"That's cause your just not fun." Bruce looked at the boy with a scowl.

"You think I'm not fun?" He said as he raised an eyebrow, a skill he picked up from Alfred. Dick's mouth dropped open when he realized what he had said.

"No no, I don't mean your not fun, I meant... Your really fun, when you want to be." He stammered moving towards the door subtly. Bruce just shook his head.

"I guess we'll just have to do something fun then huh?" He then smirked when Dick nodded eagerly.

______________________________________
9:32 PM

Bruce sat at the table reading the newspaper from that morning that he had yet to finish, while a tiny figure flipped and twisted around the house over the numerous obstacles. He glanced at the boy who was rapidly slowing his pace before picking up where he left off on his page. Eventually Dick collapsed on the floor, panting while rubbing his eyes tiredly. Bruce then decided he was ready for his long overdue bedtime. He scooped up the boy off the floor before carrying him gently up to his room and tucking him into bed.

"Goodnight."

"But I'm not tired.. "

"Alright, well goodnight anyway." He said chuckling to himself a bit before walking out, leaving the door a crack open behind him. He peered into the bedroom one last time only to see his young ward yawn and close his eyes. Once he had turned towards the stairs, he sighed at the mess he knew he was going to have to clean up, hula hoops, pillows, furniture that had been moved to complete the obstacle course. It was going to be a but before he got to the Batcave, that he was sure of.

______________________________________
Next Morning ~ 8:40 AM

Bruce sat drinking his coffee at the table, thinking about why Mr. Freeze had been kidnapping young kids lately for seemingly no reason, all the children had hardly anything in common except that they all had died in 72 hours by hypothermia. It made little sense, as he rarely ever kidnapped anyone, Bruce tried to shake the thought from his brain as Dick stumbled down the stairs tiredly.

"Good morning." He greeted.

"Good morning.." Dick responded groggily.

"So.. You did you have fun last night?"

"What?"

Bruce just shrugged. "Nothing." Dick looked at him confused for a minute before grabbing the cereal box and putting it on the table in front of Bruce. He smiled widely, letting Bruce know he wanted him to pour him some cereal. He got up to do so, then stopped and looked at how much sugar was in it. He wasn't making that mistake again.