A Poison Tree

I was angry with my friend;

Lance felt his throat burn up and dry out as he felt the sting of tears of his cheeks, his first ever fight with Hunk.

I told my wrath, my wrath did end.

The screaming match soon ended with Hunk cuddling Lance as they passed out a few hours later.

I was angry with my foe:

Keith yelled at Lance as he pushed him slightly, the argument getting more and more physical as words spewed between the two.

I told it not, my wrath did grow.

Lance stood clutching his head as he smelt the smoke burning, his gun in hand as his trigger finger kept shaking, tears swelling down the boy's eyes as he fell to the side of his enemy's cold body.

And I water'd it in fears,

Lance stayed up, another sleepless night, sobbing to himself as every time he closed his eyes, the memories would repeat.

Night and morning with my tears;

He ignored the others, as they did him. A new side of him. A darker side of Lance.

And I sunned it with smiles,

Lance tried to keep smiling, keep joking to try and feel like he had some part in the team.

And with soft deceitful wiles.

But the tears always came back, always lurking at the back of his throat as his own guilt strangled him and hung him above the memories that will always haunt him.

And it grew both day and night,

Lance got back to his room as he sat on his linen covers, looking up at the ceiling.

Till it bore an apple bright;

He could almost trace out the figure of him, the one who he had secretly loved yet could never have told.

And my foe beheld it shine,

His soft touch, his sweet smell, his lingering eyes.

And he knew that it was mine,

And the horrific look on his face as blood spewed from the corner of his mouth, as red and as rich as a pure crimson river, staining the sheet white pale skin that sunk whiter than before.

And into my garden stole

Lance shook his head, clutching his eyes shut as the tears came back. He stormed out to the castle's indoor gardens, running down the maze of corridors.

When the night had veil'd the pole:

Lance slowed as he knew he was nearing his destination, the only light shining through the castle's small windows was the various colours from other planets and suns shining in.

In the morning glad I see

A huge dark dying tree stood before him, not a leaf in sight. A single stone slab lay underneath. A single heartbreaking name chizzled onto it.

My foe outstretch'd beneath the tree.

Keith Kogane.